PDA

View Full Version : Discus Families/bonds?

RedneckDaveAb
03-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Do discus form (family type) bonds (like wolves)?

Your thoughts please

Dave

PDX-PLT
03-21-2007, 03:40 AM
As nice as Discus are, I don't think they have the intelligence to form complex pack social structures like wolves (or dogs).

dishpanhands
03-21-2007, 03:48 AM
They raise the young, stay in groups, and have alpha leaders..

GC_PAUL
03-21-2007, 04:40 AM
They raise the young, stay in groups, and have alpha leaders..

And they don't howl or eat your chickens

dishpanhands
03-21-2007, 05:26 AM
And they don't howl or eat your chickens

Yea..Don't have to worry about discus unless your a worm farmes:D

RedneckDaveAb
03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
I appreciate they may not have a social structure like dog packs but I have seen some behaviour which would suggest they may be more "intelligent" than we think. For instance there was a dieing discus in the tank and there was one which was protecting him. In another instance when I removed one of their tank mates it appeared the rest were "grieving" the change in their environment.

No, I haven't been drinking

Dave :)

lauris
03-21-2007, 09:45 PM
I have a strain of red turqs that have mastered algebra and are showing serious interest in calculus type word problems.

RedneckDaveAb
03-21-2007, 09:56 PM
That is impressive! Mine can drive me to work but always get lost on their way home!!!

Dave :confused:

I have a strain of red turqs that have mastered algebra and are showing serious interest in calculus type word problems.

mandisc
03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
i love mine the best. love breakdancing.do the headspin all day long without eat/sleep/****! lol

PDX-PLT
03-22-2007, 12:26 PM
I appreciate they may not have a social structure like dog packs but I have seen some behaviour which would suggest they may be more "intelligent" than we think. For instance there was a dieing discus in the tank and there was one which was protecting him. In another instance when I removed one of their tank mates it appeared the rest were "grieving" the change in their environment.

Interesting. I would have thought social behavior that complex would be precluded from brains that small.

OTOH, my (20 yr. old) parrot is pretty intelligent, and his is much bigger. ;)

I hope to get some Discus later this year; 'sound like it'll be interesting to watch them interact. And here I thought they were just beautiful, high-maintenance airheads! ;)

White Worm
03-22-2007, 12:44 PM
I would say yes but limited. Not such as a pack but they do enjoy each others company. Some more than others. There are ones that just dont ever get along. Then, you need to look at their choice of breeding partner. I'd say they have some kind of structure. They definately have more brain activity than we give them credit for. As soon as they see me at the freezer.......they know whats next......Bloodworms!!!! Alot is instinct but according to this behavior, they do remember. They even recognize the package because they dont get as excited when I have the tetra bits container in my hand. When I have the FBW package, they climb all over each other to get to the front, lol. I have also recognized the protection of one that may be sick and some will stick close to it (even nudge it). Just my observations and no, I wasnt drinking either, lol.