View Full Version : Heavy Peppering?

RedneckDaveAb
03-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Why do some discus have heavy peppering? Will this disappear as the fish becomes older?

Dave

Elite Aquaria
03-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Peppering will not disappear as the fish get older. In fact, depending on the age of your fish it may intensify a little.

Dan

Deepak
03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
They say you can prevent the peppering at the fry stage. But at juvinile stage it is very difficult. But my 4 pigeons lost a lot of peppering after 3 months, I don't know how :confused: But I must admit the peppering was not much to start with in the first place. Maybe if it is too much it won't go.

Kindredspirit
03-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Some say it can depend on your background as well ~ the darker the background ~ heavier the peppering ~ although black backgrounds can look great...they are not advocated due to peppering issues:)

Sometimes a few of mine when stressed ~ they will pepper up a lot but it will reside later!

Marie ~ :wave:

KJoFan
03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
I was keeping my juvies in a black painted tank and they were getting dark and peppered so I moved them to a non painted tank, but since they are relatively new to my home they are a bit skittish yet and stayed dark. I painted the tank a light aqua blue color and they seem much better, the peppering is pretty well gone. They did get a bit peppered last night during water change time, I imagine just being scared and stress. But it was gone after I stopped messing in the tank.

Karen

Deepak
03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Me thinks peppering is actually made up of the pigments (or watever) bands are made up of. It appears & disappears according to the mood of the fish & other factors. Maybe due to crossbreeding the bands broke off/ dispersed & converted into what we call peppering. That's why peppering only appears in strains where bands are not present.