PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a central air pump - check your connection

billeagan
03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
A bit of a scare today. Went into the basement to get something and it was awfully nosy down there.

I look around and find that the tube from my central air pump that feeds the PVC and the airlines fell off the pump.

All of my tanks except one had no filtration as a result. I'm not sure when it happened =( Only a couple of dead tetras at this point thankfully.

No one at the top gasping for air or swimming funny so I think I'm safe...

Moral of the story: Check your connections =)

Squiggy
03-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Glad you caught it, Bill....How much for the dead tetras? :crazy:

Darren's Discus
03-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi Bill,
Mate i do use a central pump for my tanks except quarentine and hospital tanks,over the years have had a fair few loses due to airtube blowing off glad to hear your loss was minimal !

cheers

Rod
03-22-2007, 05:04 AM
You could try putting an air bleed valve online to help reduce backpressure on the pump and the connection to the pump. Connection points into the filters tend to build up with calcium deposits and other gunk after a period of time which increases the pressure on the hose connection to the central pump which can cause increased heat and pipe expansion therefore makeing it more liable to blowing off. I like to use a needle to clean out the connection points from time to time.

hth

Rod