PDA

View Full Version : Question about females

fobincorporated
03-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi I currently have a pair of leopards and they have just spawned a very small clutch of 9 (thanks to the male dining on the babies), what's the likelihood of the mom taking care of the babies and not eat them? So far she's been the one that's doing EVERYTHING (fanning, picking up babies, guarding the babies against ME LOL).

AADiscus
03-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Raising just 9 babies is not worth it. IMO I would clean the eggs off and let them try again. You might try pulling the male once they have completed spawning that way you get more eggs. ;)

fobincorporated
03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Would it be good practice to try raising them for experience or it'd be better to just start all over, the female tried really hard this time. Also, does letting her raise the 9 babies give her more practice at being a better parent? I'd rather have one good parent than 2 bad ones. Thanks Angela for your quick response.

Darren's Discus
03-23-2007, 06:00 PM
With only 9 fry i think you will find they will devour them when there ready to spawn again,forget about them move on let them spawn again and remove the male if he eats the eggs again ,next time he might not even touch them !

cheers