PDA

View Full Version : cycling and adding discus shortly after???

Royal_Discus
03-24-2007, 09:19 PM
i was wondering if i just set-up a tank with the right temperature, the right PH and everything, then add some bio-sphira then add a pair of discus at the same time??.... is that ok or will there be any problems??? has anyone done or heard of anyone doing this before?? if so how does it turn out??

thanks.

TauriX
03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I have used the bio-spira to good effect, I don't know that I am willing to trust it by putting discus in right away. I guess I am stuck in the mentality that you have to go through the first fish dying for the cause of starting the tank. I started my 46 bowfront with bio and added killifish right away and they are doing great.

FishLover888
03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Why the rush? If you have existing tanks, run your new filter in the existing tank for a week, then move the new filter to the new tank and you are ready to have new fish.

Setting up new tanks with discus is not a good idea because there are things you need to work out before you get used to things. Discus are not cheap and there is no point of have them stressed out and die on you.

Harriett
03-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Fishlover, I agree.
A rule I employ whenever I am thinking of doing something unusual or spontaneous with fish or tanks is to say to myself: What's the worse thing that could happen here if I do this, and if it happens will I feel ok about it?
After pulling enough knuckleheaded moves over the years [it seemed like a good idea at the tinme syndrome] this exercise keeps my butt out of the frying pan.
HTH
Harriett

Royal_Discus
03-26-2007, 01:30 PM
well i did it but slightly different than how i said i will do it....... I added some danios to the tank than i added the bio-sphirs....and let it cycle for 8 hours....

after 8 hours i picked up the discus and i cheked the perimeters before and after and it was cycled so i acclimated the fish and put them in there and they are fine, so it does work and the fish looked good and still do. so i think it worked out well.

before i put the discus in the tank the perimeters were...

Ammonia-0ppm
NitrItes-0ppm
NitrAtes---Did not chek because it was a new tank with new water.
PH-6.5
Temperature-84F

also remember this is a Quarantine tank.

poconogal
03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi. I think there is a thread here on SD where people posted their results with Bio Spira. If its not here on SD then I saw it on another forum, but I do remember that they reported very good results with the product and with adding the fish right away, according to the directions. I remember someone stating that with using Bio Spira, there was no more "new tank syndrome."

I've used Seachem's Stability for several days before adding Discus then put the Discus in and had no problems whatsoever, no ammonia, no nitrite, eventually just end result nitrate which WCs take care of, so I assume Bio Spira would work the same.

If you go the Bio Spira route, though, I would make sure to diligently test your water daily just to be safe.

Royal_Discus
03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
thanks poconogal. i did do it and it works great just like it had worked in my other tanks but i was concerned to use it on discus so i asked here on SD where most of the discus experts are. i got some replies saying it would not work/or it was risky, and replies like yours which tell me that it was ok to do it. but now i know it was ok to do it because it worked. I'm at school right now and i called home to ask how they were doing and i was told that they look good and that they were breathing normal.

tdr1919
04-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I started a 36 gal with bio-spira, added Discus about 4 hours later and they did fine, never lost one of them. I did have ammonia issues days later, but was able to control it.
Tom

White Worm
04-15-2007, 06:31 PM
If you go the Bio Spira route, though, I would make sure to diligently test your water daily just to be safe.

I started a 36 gal with bio-spira, added Discus about 4 hours later and they did fine, never lost one of them. I did have ammonia issues days later, but was able to control it.
Tom

Thats why its a good idea to keep an eye on things afterwards so you can control any spikes that occur later with large water changes, salt, prime, etc.

pheonix
05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Tom

Hi I was naughty as I set up my 100g tank and added discus the next night, that was over 2 weeks ago.
They did well and are still alive except cos I stupidly fed tuberfix last weeked and one got bloated and died the next day.

I follow some advice on new tanks from this article:

http://www.xanga.com/Expert_Fish_Help

cheers

Kevin22
05-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I did it before. it's safe.
as long as you don't put too many fish as once.
you are not gonna feed your fish a lot the first week anyway.