PDA

View Full Version : Should I, or shouldn't I, that is the ?

alxjss
03-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Eileen and I am strongly considering a new discus tank. I currently have a 75 gallon community tank, plan on trading in those fish and set up a discus tank. I have been researching for weeks now and been reading soooo many things, some alike, some different. I am confused right now so i hope i can ask alot of ?'s.
My son is very knowledgeable, learned alot from him also. He had a 75 gallon, sold it, ow has a 10 gallon salt. He wants to upgrade to a 120 gal but said he will learn w/ the 10 gal. I also have another tank with a lionhead and a blackmoore goldfish. I don't want to do anything until i know for sure!!!

mmorris
03-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Eileen,
You're asking in the right place! I've had many different kinds of fish in my life but there is something very, very special about discus. Its great that you are doing a lot of reading. The beginner's section has a lot of useful information, if you haven't already checked it out. If you decide to get discus, I highly recommend you get them from the sponsors on this site. Otherwise, you may suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and have to take arms (in the disease section) against a sea of troubles. :D Martha

alxjss
03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
thanks for the first reply. I feel real good here. There is alot of knowledge here. Just what i have been looking for.
I think discus are beautiful!!! I am just nervous. I just don't want to harm them. I had a few fatalities and it is not a good feeling, so i want to be able to do this right.
Do u know where, or i should say who can walk me thru this process?

White Worm
03-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Its rather simple. Good stock to begin with (look in spnosor section) nice size group in a good size tank (5-7 in a 75g for ex.). Make sure you have cycled your tank prior. Add fish, waterchanges at 50% or more daily or every other day and plenty of filtration. Lots of varied food (dried, frozen and live). Thats it.

mmorris
03-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Discus are an on-going journey. Read, read, read. I always do a search using key words when I have a question. If I can't find an answer to it already, then I start a thread with a question. I was nervous at first too but then I bought discus from the local fish shop and I had terrible problems. I just started over with healthy discus and it makes a world of difference. That's why I recommend buying from the sponsors. And then, well, dive right in! Martha