PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Python hose?

gregorrf
03-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Does anybody know a safe way to clean a Python hose that has gummed up algae all over inside it? I bought a used aquarium on Friday and it came with a 50 ft Python...which is great because they aren't cheap...but it has algae all over inside it. I tried putting hot water and vinegar in it, but I don't think it did a thing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Graham
03-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi, In a closed circut,.....pump out of a bucket and back to the same bucket........ Pump a bleach solution through it. Once the hose clears up then pump fresh water, with lots of de-chlor in it in the same fashion, changing the water several times.

Graham

fishmama
03-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi Gregorrf-

I use the same approach as Graham. I hook up the python in our 1/2 bath down the hall, then run the gravel tube to our kitchen sink. Fill the kitchen sink with a 10% bleach and water solution. Pull that solution through the hose for a bit (making sure to clean the outside of the gravel tube as well). Then turn the shutoff valve by the gravel tube to "off." I just let it sit for 20-30 minutes with the bleach solution in the hose. Then, drain the sink, fill with fresh water and run it thru. I then refill with tap water treated with a dechlorinator and run that thru.

hth
Lisa

Ed13
03-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Bleach it good!:D
I don't bother with de-chlor since I believe sodium trisulfate handles chlorine and won't do anything to bleach. I'm probably wrong though, its that the problem with bleach is that it sticks to whatever you use it on, so I don't want to have a false sense of security because of the de-chlor and not rinse the equipment properly.
Just lots of clean water, and if you have a powerful sense of smell like me, do a sniff test then let it dry for 24 hrs. Don't use it until you are confident!

BTw, I often bleach stuff(mostly solutions, not pure) rinse it for 5 minutes and use it on tanks, even on reef tanks! But, I won't recomend it since I beleive it to be very reckless:confused: :D , I often can't afford the time to wait!

I love the stuff!

bsh
03-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Here is what I did and it worked great, Thread a wire through the whole plastic tube, you can use the stuff for hanging pictures, on one end tie a small peice of cloth and pull it through. Becareful of the mess of crap that will come out of the tube all over you. Do it a couple of times and its like new!

Cheers,
Brad H

fishmama
03-27-2007, 08:33 AM
I think I would still sanitize it with bleach...ya' just don't know where that hose has been! ;-)

gregorrf
03-27-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks everyone! I will try the bleach : )