PDA

View Full Version : Mean Discus

rubiconwade
03-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Hi there newbie here. Started my tank about 4 months ago. Started with one discus for about a month and added another, the new one I added the last few days is getting meaner by the day towards the other discus, hitting and pushing him around and even taking food away and blocking him from getting food!!! Is this normal and eventually stop? Thanks

darylddiscusman
03-27-2007, 11:56 PM
This is normal! exp. when you add one after the next, if you had put all at once and all the same size they would be better off, by growing together its better and there is not much size differ.in them! anyway HI! from the caribbean to be specific Trinidad and Tobago nice hot weather down here all the time for disc. bye for now , next time start with six or eight of them the same size!;)

April
03-28-2007, 02:44 AM
take them both out.stick them in a bucket. .rearrange the tank if you have ornaments then add them back togeather. they'll think they are in another tank. no ones tank then..both came togeather.
as stated..best to get a group and grow them out togeather. also its very risky getting one then another..from separate sources at separate times..could bring disease. different immunities.

Rod
03-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Typical cichlid behaviour, as a basic rule the more the merrier.

You don't mention tank size but i would strongly suggest another 6 discus to help divide the aggression.

Apistomaster
03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
As April said take them out and rearrange the tank. If you can and have the room, add some more at this time and the aggression will be dispersed.
If it is possible add the mean one back in a couple days later.

rubiconwade
03-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys and gals!!!:D