PDA

View Full Version : Need help - I want to rescue 2 Discus

poconogal
03-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Last night I stopped into a chain pet store, Petland, in NYC and saw that they had two RT Discus. They were actually pretty nice discus, nice shape and patterning, but slightly large eyes. They were not skinny looking though, so it seems they have been eating, and were swimming well. They were at least 4" SL. However, I got very upset looking at them.

One was turning light, then dark, and both had clamped fins. Each of them had white patches on the sides. I'm not sure what the patches were, they were not fuzzy like a fungus. The worst thing was that there was a school of cories in the tank with them. I noticed that one Discus appeared to have fin rot at the back end of its dorsal, which looked very odd to me. After watching awhile, I saw the cause: the damn cories were eating away at the Discus' fin. They were also swarming all over the bodies of the two Discus, munching on their skin. I have never seen cories do anything like this - I can only wonder when they were last fed! The 2 Discus would go and sort of crouch behind the filter (thankfully the store has separate filters for each of their tanks) and the cories would gang up on them. I spent 20 mins. banging on the tank glass to get the cories away from the Discus.

I'm wondering if the white patches are being caused by the cories? The patches do sort of look like abrasions... so I'm thinking maybe abraded slime coat?? They are charging $60 each for these poor fish, and I couldn't even find a thermometer in the tank to see what temp they were being kept at.

I asked for the manager - she was not in. The asst. manager was not in. The person who takes "care of" the fish was not in. I gave the kid at the register an earful about the condition of those Discus and what the Cories were doing to them. I plan on going back on Monday when I'm at work again to check on the Discus. I will probably buy them - I can't stand the thought of the torment they are going thru. All I know is that when I looked at them in that tank, they came right up to me and were looking at me... like saying HELP!!!! Any thoughts on treatments when I get them home? I have a 30g QT tank on the opposite side of the room where my 75 is, but I will most likely put them in my empty 45 in my basement.

brewmaster15
03-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi Connie,

First be very sure that they are not placed in the same room as your current stock... buying a healthy looking discus is risky ...buying one that may be sick is definetly dangerous, IMO.

Scenario if it was me...

Isolate at home
clean water
proper temp
get eating and observe

with luck...patches and fins will resolve in a few days unless serious...

if things get worse

treat for possible external bacterial infections with Furan 2 or maracyn 2

once external look goods again.. deworm and take it from there.

Hth,
al

poconogal
03-31-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Al. Yep, its the basement for these guys. I was thinking along the same lines - nice clean water, maybe a little salt, and observe. I wasn't sure if they should be treated for worms etc. if I saw no evidence, but I think you are right, to be on the safe side - they are petstore Discus, after all. It was from Petland, 14 years ago, that I started with Discus, though! Have you ever heard of cories eating Discus fins and slime? I haven't!

This weekend I'll get my 45 ready and Monday I'll take newspapers and two styro boxes that I have to work with me, so that I'll be prepared for the 2 hour trip home. Since Petland does not have oxygen, do you think they'll need it for the length of time they will be bagged? If I get stuck in traffic, it can be longer than 2 hours.

Thanks!

brewmaster15
03-31-2007, 09:19 AM
The Cories are probably feeding on damaged tissue if they are hungry.
Its odd, but if hungry I am sure that food is food:)

The 2 hours trip will be fine if you can get them to use big bags and pump aquarium air into it...shoot for 1/3 water...2/3 air.

worse case scenario... just agitate the water by hand...I made a 5 hour trip once with some very large discus stopped every hour to agitate the water...and that was overkill.

Bag buddies would help if they have them....Its a supply that You might want to keep on hand:)

good luck,
al

poconogal
03-31-2007, 09:23 AM
Oh, yes, bag buddies... I forgot about them! They're by Jungle, right? I'm going to check here in PA this weekend to see if anyone has them, in case Petland does not.

Thanks again!

Kindredspirit
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Good for you Connie! And you can not get far enough for me when bringing home lfs discus:mad:

The basement is perfect!