PDA

View Full Version : Cruelty to discus

alexander116
03-31-2007, 02:38 PM
While browsing the discus farms found in Malaysia i came across this pic which is really appalling......they call it the "love shape"

RedMar
03-31-2007, 03:12 PM
That's just sad!

Squiggy
03-31-2007, 03:15 PM
They're doing all sorts of strange things in the east. (here too, to a lesser extent) Tattoos, cutting off tails....:(

pcsb23
03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Looks like its got a spinal deformity. Should have been culled.

Rod
03-31-2007, 04:26 PM
not nice, but i'm not sure it is cruel. I think as long as the fish isn't suffering it's ok though we should all tell breeders of fish like these that we do not think they should be doing such things. Protest by never buying them.

now homones, that is imo cruel and much more widespread.....again protest by never buying them. I own a wholesale aquarium fish business and i NEVER buy fish that are injected, dyed, tattooed etc etc. I know i loose sales but i love animals and think it is a despicable practise. I won't join the Aussie Pet industry body until they ban such imports, and tell them so every oppurtunity i can.

Rod:)

Ed13
03-31-2007, 04:43 PM
not nice, but i'm not sure it is cruel. I think as long as the fish isn't suffering it's ok though we should all tell breeders of fish like these that we do not think they should be doing such things. Protest by never buying them.

now homones, that is imo cruel and much more widespread.....again protest by never buying them. I own a wholesale aquarium fish business and i NEVER buy fish that are injected, dyed, tattooed etc etc. I know i loose sales but i love animals and think it is a despicable practise. I won't join the Aussie Pet industry body until they ban such imports, and tell them so every oppurtunity i can.

Rod:)
The problem Rod is that while some fish as this one might be born with the deformity, cutting tails off and pushing the spine in to create a heart shape animal is becoming more prominent. All of this carried without any sort of anestissia or sterile equipment. Just clip with a scissor wipe some antibiotics and sell!:mad:

If there is only one or two individuals for sale could be a genetic deformity or a degenerating sickness, but if there are many for sell you have to assume they are being altered by the breeder or seller!

alexander116
04-01-2007, 04:09 AM
here are more pics

mmorris
04-01-2007, 01:09 PM
...pushing the spine in to create a heart shape animal is becoming more prominent.

Ed, is this true? Are you referring to discus? Where are they being sold? What do they look like, since you say this example may be a deformity? The thought is disgusting. Martha

curleyk2.0
04-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Thats horrible, what drives me nuts is seeing the tattoed fish!!! Its too common! All the LFS near me have "poka dot" oscars, albinos with blue and red dots tattoed one them! Just cruel, I have also seen some with the words "LOVE" tatted on its side. The girl working at the store said she didn't know how they did it, so I explained it to her!! Just sad people think its cute!

t_j
04-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Its all just sad people will do these things just to make a buck. How would they like it if some one pushed in there spin??

swinters66
04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
The fish doesnt even look happy or content. It looks sickly...poor thing. Why on earth would people want to do that to any animal...let alone sell them?!? And who would want a discus that looks like that? So this is something breeders are doing on purpose? This fish wasn't born that way? Makes me ill.

FishLover888
04-01-2007, 02:36 PM
People buying them should share the blame too. If no such demand, I don't think they will in business for too long.

Ed13
04-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Ed, is this true? Are you referring to discus? Where are they being sold? What do they look like, since you say this example may be a deformity? The thought is disgusting. Martha
Parrots(go figure it was to them) are ones getting most of these treatments along with Flowerhorns, severums and discus. I remember seen the pics in a very detailed manner(as in a brochure of sorts) explaining two proceedures
-how tattos and coloring are done to fish, The I love you ones
-how to create a love fish. They litteraly clip off the tail at the base from a young flowerhorn, with the fingers pushed in the end of the spine(to create a heart shape), applied some antibiotic, and release it to a very small holding tank to sell some weeks after it healed a bit

I really don't remember where on the net I saw it, it was some time ago. It was from from Asian country, don't remember where though, and someone translated the text.

People buying them should share the blame too. If no such demand, I don't think they will in business for too long.

The blame relys almost completely on people buying them! The people doing this do it only from a monetary motivation, its easier for them to just raise the fish and sell it! If there was no market for them then they would not do it! Of course, They are evil people, yes, but someone is buying them!:mad:
And how dumb do you have to be,even if you've never had a fish, to walk inside a store see a fish with red lips, purple, green, blue colors with big letters and a heart that reads I Love you and not assume that is human altered in some way. "Oh I did not know" my ###!!

RedneckDaveAb
04-02-2007, 11:31 AM
That is simply aweful! I am lost for words!!!

Dave :mad: