PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic fish tank vendor in Chicago or any other states.

Benis
04-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Dear All:
Does anyone know of good vendor to buy an acrylic tank from in Chicago Illinois? I currently have a 125 glass tank that I've owned for 11 years now! It is starting to look bad in the inside now, and very heavy to move around.

I read some of the threads about the good and the bad about acrylics! I emailed a vendor and he replied: " Acrylics are made of oil and you know the price of oil and glass is made of sand, therfore we would suggest you get a glass tank because the acrylic scratches very easily"!

The statement did not make me feel good :-( I'm just tired of such a heavy tank and never thought about the acrylic since I do not see them much in the pet shops!

Please help me out, on finding a good and affordable vendor. I just need the tank and nothing else!

Thanks A Million,

Hans in the Windy City :-)

April
04-02-2007, 02:40 AM
hi there. well on the west coast we have tru vu. those are guaranteed for 15 years i think..do a google search. you will find their website. read up on them.
i have 5 plexis and i love them. i can manouver a 100 gallon on my own. and im an old weakly female. you dont see the scratches when water is in them..and if your doing bare bottom..not alot of chance of it. ones on the outside you can polish out. i have never bothered. i believe your meant to have a board under them so the bottom doesnt curve. anyhow..im happy with them. they are a bit more costly..but you dont need to buy the canopy. and the discus cant jump out as easy as just two access holes in the center. usually they go up and out along a side. they cant on the plexis. i think theres seavu over there on the east coast or something like that . those ones are meant to be a good make. the good quality ones dont yellow . i paid about 550.00 for my 100 gallon ones. i believe the price has risen lately with the price of gas and of course gas product..

Harriett
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I found this vender on Greater Chicagoland Cichlid Associations' website [GCCA]. It's worth taking a look, the prices are quite reasonable, Hans.
Best regards,
Harriett in Evanston

http://www.kurtsaquariums.com/aquariums.htm

tpl*co
04-02-2007, 02:23 PM
hi there. well on the west coast we have tru vu. those are guaranteed for 15 years i think..do a google search. you will find their website. read up on them.
i have 5 plexis and i love them. i can manouver a 100 gallon on my own. and im an old weakly female. you dont see the scratches when water is in them..and if your doing bare bottom..not alot of chance of it. ones on the outside you can polish out. i have never bothered. i believe your meant to have a board under them so the bottom doesnt curve. anyhow..im happy with them. they are a bit more costly..but you dont need to buy the canopy. and the discus cant jump out as easy as just two access holes in the center. usually they go up and out along a side. they cant on the plexis. i think theres seavu over there on the east coast or something like that . those ones are meant to be a good make. the good quality ones dont yellow . i paid about 550.00 for my 100 gallon ones. i believe the price has risen lately with the price of gas and of course gas product..

Our LFS here in California also carries S&S brand acrylic tanks. Have a 27 gallon of theirs and really like it. (doesn't help you in Chicago though)

billeagan
04-02-2007, 03:42 PM
I found this vender on Greater Chicagoland Cichlid Associations' website [GCCA]. It's worth taking a look, the prices are quite reasonable, Hans.
Best regards,
Harriett in Evanston

http://www.kurtsaquariums.com/aquariums.htm

Kurt is a stand up guy. The great lakes aquariums are an off brand but the few people I know that have them are happy.

Benis
04-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Dear All:

Thank you, so much for all the feed backs :-) I emailed Kurt's aquarium and hope he carries acrylics. It seems some of the vendors I emailed are quite negative with their response!

Are acrylics only purchase for show tanks?

Thanks A Million,

Hans