PDA

View Full Version : Rain Barrel Water

Baalaz999
04-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I am considering setting up a rain barrel this spring to collect rain water for my frequent water changes. I do use an RO system at present but the process is slow and I don't like the idea of wasting so much water. My concern with a rain barrel is that it would be collecting rain water from an ashphalt shingled roof. Does anyone have any knoledge/opinions on whether this will introduce unwanted pollutants into my aquarium?

curleyk2.0
04-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that said he collected rain water for breeding. I'm not sure how he was doing it, it was something mentioned and not really what we were talking about.

Do you have to collect it off the roof? Could you build some sort of funnel thing so the water wasn't running right off the asfault? Maybe with the thin plastic sheets people use for interiort painting?

Baalaz999
04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
When I was first pondering this idea I did not even consider collecting from the roof. Upon researching it on the net, it seems to be common practice for most people setting up rain barrel systems to collect from the roof. Although I'm sure most of them have other uses in mind for their rain water.

Graham
04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I personally would never use rain water for anything but plants. While rainwater has extremely low GH and KH, it has a low pH due to pollution and acids, sulfur being a big one, that it collects on the way down........

.....Acid rain is killing amphibians and fish all over the world from the extreme low pH...whild discus can handle the Ph can they handle the other crap that's in the water

G

White Worm
04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
I've been on my roof and I wouldnt use water that came in contact with the surface for much of anything....especially not my discus. Just think of what collects on your roof during the dry seasons and then gets washed off when it rains. No thanks. I'd rather take my chances with tap.

Tropical Haven
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I would never use rain water, there is way too many pollutants in rain water. Why take the chance if you have an RO unit.

poconogal
04-11-2007, 07:43 AM
A friend of mine had roof shingles replaced in an area right above a koi pond she has as part of her home's landscaping. Previous to that she never had any problems with her fish, but once the new roofing was done, she began experiencing fish deaths. Who know if it was the roof shingles or not, but I don't think I'd take the chance, especially in view of the stuff rainwater collects on its way down these days.

LizStreithorst
04-11-2007, 08:16 AM
We put a new roof on the house after hurricane Katrina took off with our old one. Then, I moved the WC containers outside. The containers got a lot of run off from the roof. I did small changes and watched the fish carefully for the first week, but everyone did fine so I quit worrying. Of course the vast majority of the water in these containers is declorinated tap... But if you feel that your rain water itself is safe I'd give it a try on some fish of little value and see how it goes.

brewmaster15
04-11-2007, 09:13 AM
My views here are different from the others....all last year I had a rain storage system running....nothing high tech... 3 55 gallon drums plumbed together... The water I got was used after being filtered thru carbon 24 hours just incase....but it worked fine in all my discus tanks. just mix it with tap like you do Ro or DI.. to get the right parameters.

I got this idea from David webber in upstate Ny.. He uses it for his sting rays....and if you think Discus are sensitive ...Rays are by most accounts far more so.

Each roof is different, and my roof is about 15 years old.. so that may be of benefit here.. but I know that as soon as I get my garage cleaned out...I'm setting up a larger system... When you consider the size of the area a roof comprises...its unbelievable how much water you can generate, and save.

I experienced absolutely no problems using it and used it in all my adult tanks....Keep in mind I am in Northeast USA and acid rain is a problem.... still When you have as many tanks as I do, and are on a well...water conservation matters... some of you may remember my well problems 2 years back...not fun and almost caused me to leave the hobby..

Not advising others to try it...but for me...it worked very well.

hth,
al

discusfire4
04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Some shingles contain bits of copper to say the least to prevent mold from growing on the shingle. I guess it all depends on what type of roof you have, the age of the roof and whether or not you wantr to take the chance of using rain water.

Graham
04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
The water I got was used after being filtered thru carbon 24 hours just incase.

That could make a major difference Al

mmorris
04-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Would melted snow work for the winter? Martha

Graham
04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Would melted snow work for the winter? Martha

That would ever bit as bad as rainwater is not worse...especially the yellow snow;)

Cosmo
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I was thinking about this just a few days ago :confused: I figured the water would be too toxic, what with all it picks up from the air on it's way down. Didn't even consider what would come off the roof :p

But on second thought.. here in Chicago, our major air pollution problem is ozone on hot summer days... you know how much I could save by using rain instead of buying an ozone system :confused: :D

Jim

brewmaster15
04-11-2007, 09:32 PM
For the Cautious but curious and open minded:)...

http://rainwater.org/rainwater_collection_local.html

The above site is on a water collection system approved for US consumption and The guy is actually bottling and selling rainwater...

By the sounds of it..the rain water is filtered thru a micron filter...carbon and UV.

anyhow..I thought it was interesting.:)

-al

Cosmo
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the link Al - I bookmarked it for future reference... never know :)