PDA

View Full Version : Fish prefer lights off

Don Trinko
04-11-2007, 06:08 PM
My discus tend to hide when the light is on. They don't eat untill I turn the lights off, then they eat slowly. I would like them to be more aggressive.
I was considering putting aluminum foil over part of the light to lower the light level or possibly adding a small incandecent bulb to the light fixture.
Any Ideas?? thanks; Don T.

bsh
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I have 2 young discus that dont like the lights I have on top of my 75 Gal Tank.

I imagine that the size of the tank and being bare kept them hiding under the sponge filter.

I added a poted amazon plant and put a thin towel under the light and they come out a bit more and are starting to settle in.

They still get a bit scared as I have the tank sitting on my wifes dresser (she okay'ed it, likes to look at them). I would like to get the tank a bit higher and on a more solid ground.

I am currently looking at doing a fishroom in the basement wich will be much better.

Brad Hudson

RAWesolowski
04-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Do either of you have any hardscape or structure in the tak that the fish can relate to? An area that they can feel secure if they are near? Most fish will relate to structure, an area that gives them a hiding spot or an area of protection.

Have a couple of areas that have hardscape for them. Petsmart has these resin pieces that work well. In my experience, young fish are skittish if they have below 7 members in the shoal while other fish get skittish based on water conditions.

- Too cool,
- Nitrates are up
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 7847&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030058&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1177767528989&itemNo=50&Nao=48&In=Fish&N=2030058&Ne=2

Airex
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
My discus tend to hide when the light is on. They don't eat untill I turn the lights off, then they eat slowly. I would like them to be more aggressive.
I was considering putting aluminum foil over part of the light to lower the light level or possibly adding a small incandecent bulb to the light fixture.
Any Ideas?? thanks; Don T.

Maybe you can advise us on how many discus and whats sizes are these in how big a tank

Terence

Don Trinko
04-28-2007, 02:21 PM
They are getting better. Most days they come out about 5 minutes after I turn the light on. I do have fake plants in both rear corners. That's where they hide when they like.
I have 4 Blue diamond Discus 21/2 to 3" long. I bought some drift wood and a fake sword plant but they seem OK now so I will leave things the way they are.
I've only had them abought 6 weeks. They have improved a lot.
Thanks; Don T.

Camden
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
They are getting better. Most days they come out about 5 minutes after I turn the light on. I do have fake plants in both rear corners. That's where they hide when they like.
I have 4 Blue diamond Discus 21/2 to 3" long. I bought some drift wood and a fake sword plant but they seem OK now so I will leave things the way they are.
I've only had them abought 6 weeks. They have improved a lot.
Thanks; Don T.

Fish take time to get use to any new enviroment/stimulate (lights, deco, background, etc) Just keep doing what your doing and eventually they'll get hungry enough they'll venture out and eat and when nothing happens they'll be quicker the next time. When moving to a new tank I usually leave the lights off for a day or so and then begin the regular light schedule. Also wear light color clothing from my experience all my discus freak out when I approach the tank in a dark shirt. I wouldn't purposely feed in the dark just to suit them though they'll get hungry enough and come out and eat in the lights might take a couple days, jmo.