Nitrate 0 ppm
GH 2 dGH
KH 1dKH
Ca less than 10 ppm
PO4 1 ppm

Only bad part is the chlorine.

Graham
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Whats' the pH out of the tap and then after 24 hours being aerated in a bucket.

based on those numbers you have very soft water that has next to nothing in it for buffering/KH. That will have to be watched to prevent pH crashes.

The Phosphates are high...

Edit are you sure the local water company doen't use chloramines

lillou
04-11-2007, 11:45 PM
knew I forgot something

pH is 6.8 fresh out of the tap and 7.2 outgassed.

I am planning on running my tank planted so that 1 ppm of phosphates will be okay.

I thought the discus like soft water. Especially for breeding?

No chloramines just chlorine. I will double check the DEP website but i am almost positive.

Never had the ph crash on my other tank even with CO2 hooked up for the plants. A little bking soda will bring up the KH in any event.

Elite Aquaria
04-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Looks like you have some great water for Discus...Just make sure you check it occasionally because the water facilities can change things up on you. I just had it happen to me and I was surprised of the change in the behavior of my fish.

Dan

Graham
04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
As Dan just said , you're good to go, nice water

G

poconogal
04-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Whats' the pH out of the tap and then after 24 hours being aerated in a bucket.

based on those numbers you have very soft water that has next to nothing in it for buffering/KH. That will have to be watched to prevent pH crashes.

The Phosphates are high...

Edit are you sure the local water company doen't use chloramines

Looks like you have some great water for Discus...Just make sure you check it occasionally because the water facilities can change things up on you. I just had it happen to me and I was surprised of the change in the behavior of my fish.

Dan

That's EXACTLY what happened to me when I used to live on Staten Island. My tank became very unstable and I found that New York City, of which SI is a borough, did something to their water during an e-coli outbreak in another area when it had been totally stable for years before that. All of a sudden my PH was 6.8 one day, then below 5.0 the next, and on it went. There was no internet back then and no one in any of the LFS' could tell me what to do to buffer my water, other than adding chems, which did not work. I eventually lost all my Discus I'm sure due to problems brought on by the roller coaster. Of course, that was many many years ago -- I've learned a lot since then and there's always SD, now, thank goodness!