PDA

View Full Version : Foster care

kaceyo
04-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm considering trying to use a foster fish to raise a batch of fry for a particularly nice pair I have. At this point the the wrigglers have just hatched out (This morning). It's a small hatch and may not be enough to stimulate an inexperienced pair into raising them. I thought if I put a single experienced fish in the tank that could raise this batch I'd get a chance to see what the pair is producing, what the quality will be and still let the pair carry on trying. Does anyone know if foster's added at this point (first day wrigglers) will generaly take on the hatch or do they need to care for the eggs to get their instincts going?

Kacey

brewmaster15
04-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Kacey,
When I did those "angels fostered by Discus" experiments... The discus adopted the angel fry from both eggs and also from wigglers that I added to their tank...leading me to believe that if the pair has good instincts...they'll adopt wigglers.

hth,
al

kaceyo
04-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks Al. Thats good to know. Turns out there weren't enough wrigglers to make it worth trying this time, but next time...?

Kacey

AADiscus
04-14-2007, 11:02 PM
If you have a parent that will foster then that is a good thing. Alot of times they will not take to fry. But you never know until you try. Then just remember that fish for the future. ;)

kaceyo
04-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Angela,
Have you used fosters before? If so, how many times did it work vs times it didn't?
Thanks

Kacey

AADiscus
04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
yes, we have used them. Can't recall the number of times though. But it will work with the right fish.