PDA

View Full Version : will my discus eat my Bushy Nose?

fastxturtle
04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I just got 3 albino bushy nose and 15 Amano shrimps from liveaquaria today and they are so small way smaller than i thought. They are only 1.5" long. I have 8 discus fishes from 2.5-4" in my tank and im afriad the bushy will be eaten by them. They are already picking on the bushy and the shrimps. One Amano shirp is eaten already. Any experience of bushy getting eaten? =/

greyhoundfan
04-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, I think you answered your own question. If they ate one amano they will do the same to your bushy. You'll probably need to wait to till they get a little bigger. I'm going through the same thing you are. I had some cories that I thought were big enough but my adults but they still chased after and nipped them quite a bit. These cories were about 2.5". They will not work in my tank so I sold them to a friend of mine. I have some Longfin ABNs that I have with some 3" juvies, the juvies leave them alone.

Bainbridge Mike
04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
As long as the Ancistrus have a few places to hide, they will probably be fine. I think the shrimp may be in trouble--but I have not kept shrimp before. I'm sure others will chime in.

Mike

Diboroan
04-12-2007, 11:46 PM
I had a few discus pick on my whiptail catfish before. I didn't do anything and in the end was left with the whiptail's corpse.

I did notice that not all my discus was aggressive towards the whiptail and removed the 'offenders' (a batch I had bought in recently).The rest of the discus(mainly those i bought up from fry) and whiptails have been able to co-exist peacefully since.

fastxturtle
04-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, I think you answered your own question. If they ate one amano they will do the same to your bushy. You'll probably need to wait to till they get a little bigger. I'm going through the same thing you are. I had some cories that I thought were big enough but my adults but they still chased after and nipped them quite a bit. These cories were about 2.5". They will not work in my tank so I sold them to a friend of mine. I have some Longfin ABNs that I have with some 3" juvies, the juvies leave them alone.

I have plants and two drift woods in my tank and i see that the shrimps are all hiding now so im not worry about the shrimps. I don't see My fishes picking on the ABN now but we'll see in the monring what happen... where did you get ur 3" juvies? My local fish stores didn't carry BN so i had to order them

fastxturtle
04-13-2007, 12:37 AM
does anyone know how fast ABN grow?

Bainbridge Mike
04-13-2007, 01:08 AM
does anyone know how fast ABN grow?

Yes. Under good conditions they will grow from 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches in about 2-4 months. Growth slows after that--and they take about a year to reach about 5 inches. That is under good conditions. They will grow slower in poor water conditions, a tank that is too small, or with poor feeding. Males can get a bit bigger--like 6-7 inches over a couple of years.

April
04-13-2007, 01:12 AM
i put some bigger pleccos in my tank..and they had never seen them before..they did them in im sure..they died within a few days.

Ryan
04-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Maybe I got lucky. My plecos were fairly tiny when I mixed them with my larger discus, and the discus never even looked at them. They hide in caves, behind the heaters, and under the sponge filters. They do come out after w/c for dinner, though. The discus just glide right past them.

kaceyo
04-13-2007, 09:50 AM
My experience with BN was same as Ryan's. The discus showed no interest in them. Now the BN's are larger and I'm more worried about the BN's playing El Chupicabra with the discus, and have had to remove three of ten BN's from my tanks due to it.

Kacey

fastxturtle
04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
ok so they survived the night and they are doing GREAT job eating the brown algae, its amazing just 3 tiny plecos cleaning a 6" brown algae covered pipe, very cool. I don;t think the duscus is showing any interest on the ABN anymore but the shrimps are getting eaten now... how many ABN do i need for 100 gal?