PDA

View Full Version : Young discus zip around in circles then die

Luca
04-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey there, hopefully someone has seen this before and knows what it is. Basically it's killing my two month old discus off one at a time. The infected fish zips around in circles really really fast, their body is still in the normal upright position. I've tried formalin and malkon but no luck. They die the next day. Any ideas appreciated cheers

pcsb23
04-15-2007, 05:30 AM
Its very difficult to diagnose, at this age they are very vulnerable to most pathogens. Protozoan attacks can cause this type of reaction, but it may be other factors too. With fry you need spotless conditions and frequent regular w/c's. FMG (Formalin and Malachite Green) would be an option, acriflavine too, you can combine formalin with acriflavine if needed. Also a copper treatment, but take great care using copper, make sure you know what your ph is and adjust the dose as necessary.

Luca
04-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks for your advice and time there Paul, appreciate it :)

jeep
04-19-2007, 08:27 AM
What are you feeding them?

Deepak
04-20-2007, 01:54 AM
One of my Red Turq. died in similar fashion earlier during my Discus 'career'. It was 1.5" & recovering from HEX & was very thin. It had just started to eat & started darting around the tank, colours were bright. After 2 days it died. I could not QT it but did use Malachite Green to prevent the spread of the disease. It worked even though the fish died.

Andrew Soh
04-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Maybe what you could use is metronidazole treatment with PP.

The possibility...in my opinion ...is an infection with blood flagellate or other members of the flagellate family...like Cyptobia or Trypanosoma.

Generally, the discus seems to be normaland eating very well...and the next moment...spin around...dash...struggled...then collapsed...dead.

PP is to kill whatever that is in the water. Metronadizole is to be consumed. If you find any discus within the tank that is not eating....discard. Ensure that all the so-called 'Healthy discus' must eat the medicated food.

One way is to starve them for a few days first...then feed medicated food.

Just my suggestion

Have a nice day,
Andrew:angel:

SriAngel
04-23-2007, 03:17 AM
Did this fish expire after a water change? usually when they zip it means that they are suffocating and not getting any oxygen and the speed of the expiration of the fish also indicates it. There of course numerous reasons why that would happen.

Deepak
04-23-2007, 03:25 AM
What are the signs of fish affected by the chlorine in water ? Never seen the signs, only dead fish :confused: Gasping for air, faded color ?

Fishgirl
04-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Hi all,

I would check the gills of the fish if you can
Sounds a bit like flukes or maybe some type of parasite

Maybe get a scraping from another fish and have a look at it
just a thought

Cheers Wayne

red_monk
04-29-2007, 08:44 AM
I had a similar problem last year when i purchased 50 pcs. discus from a wholesaler/Importer. When the juveniles arrive they were all in good shape. I was feeding them exclusively with dry packaged food. After a week, the first case of quick dashing movements came about. After a few hours, it would die. Slowly, my discus were dying until just 8 pieces were left. I tried treating them with antibiotic, tetracycline and amoxicillin, but to no avail. I thought it was bacterial in nature. Anyway, the epidemic stopped after i lost 42 discus in my 100 gallon tank. :(

Susie
11-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Several months ago I lost one 4" discus to the "dashing around" disease. This discus was fairly mature and of good color. It has never eaten as well as I wanted. It just suddenly started the rushing around. I checked water parameters and they were OK.
The discus died overnight. None of the other three in that tank have shown any signs of illness.