PDA

View Full Version : Should I Separate my adults?

Derek
04-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Ok so I have been growing out 5 juvies for the past couple months. I recently bought a 5inch Tony Tan blue turq,added him to the growout tank after quarantine of 3 weeks, My question is should I add him to the planted tank I plan on adding them all once grown so that he doesn't grow to big with the rest or just don't feed him as much as the others in the BB tank.

Camden
04-15-2007, 10:25 AM
I keep an adult in with my juvies. In my grow out tank. He is about 1 1/2 larger then the biggest juvie. I've never seen him chase the juvies away from the food. I just make sure to feed them enough he gets plenty and they do too.

aquaticplantman
04-16-2007, 02:01 PM
If he's already in the growout tank with the other juvies, and he's not bullying them too much, I would leave him in there. It's not like he's going to continue to grow at 1/2" per month along with the juvies. He's pretty much done growing, and the juvies will catch up later. If you put him in the planted tank now, he may be especially territorial when you add the others at a later date. Besides, he's probably more comfortable with other discus around, even if they are smaller. In summary, as long as he's not picking on the others, leave them all together until they are all ready to go into the planted tank at once.

-- Matt H.