PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Bubbles from my XP3 grrrrrrr....

poconogal
04-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Lately, every time I clean my Rena XP3 or my XP1, after its primed exactly according to the instructions, when each filter is restarted I'm getting tons of tiny bubbles out of my spray bars. The bubbles continue for about a day. I've tried turning the filters off then restarting, no difference. I don't know what else I can do differently, especially since I'm following the instructions the manufacturer gives for priming, waiting a full 2 minutes (I set a timer) before starting the filter, etc. Luckily they are in different tanks, or I wouldn't be able to see the fish. Help!!!! I'm ready to take a hammer to these filters.

Ed13
04-15-2007, 05:35 PM
This is normal, what do the instructions say! I'm a guy so I've never read them!:D
They probably only tell how how to get it working. I imagine that you are draining the tanks below the spray bar level what happen is that air gets trapped in the upper part or the spray bar tube or the neck assembly. You could remove the spray bar fill the tank back up and attach the spray bar under water so that no air can be trap. You can also try taking off the spary bar attachment when starting the motor, wait for sometime and then reattach it.

edit:I almost forgot that no matter how well you prime it their will always be air trapped in the roof on the canister, even if you fill it with water up to the point were it will overflow once you get the cover back on!
As long as it stops doing it or that the impeller is not cavitating its OK

HTH

fishmama
04-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Don't Do It!!!! Before you take a hammer to them that is...I'll take them! Never had that problem. But I rarely prime it. Only if I have completely disconnected the hoses to clean. Normally you can use the quick disconnect bar, pull the canister out, clean, reconnect and away you go. But don't let the water level go below the intake during operation, then air gets into the "system" and you have to re-prime.

Ed13
04-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Don't Do It!!!! Before you take a hammer to them that is...I'll take them! Never had that problem. But I rarely prime it. Only if I have completely disconnected the hoses to clean. Normally you can use the quick disconnect bar, pull the canister out, clean, reconnect and away you go. But don't let the water level go below the intake during operation, then air gets into the "system" and you have to re-prime.
Same here, I never turn the of during water changes, just when its time for a schedule maintanence.

poconogal
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
That is exactly what I do. It "primes" itself, which is what I meant by priming it. And the water level hasn't gone below the intake - that's what is troubling me! It'll stop by tomorrow, but it never used to happen. :confused:

poconogal
04-15-2007, 06:57 PM
This is normal, what do the instructions say! I'm a guy so I've never read them!:D
They probably only tell how how to get it working. I imagine that you are draining the tanks below the spray bar level what happen is that air gets trapped in the upper part or the spray bar tube or the neck assembly. You could remove the spray bar fill the tank back up and attach the spray bar under water so that no air can be trap. You can also try taking off the spary bar attachment when starting the motor, wait for sometime and then reattach it.

edit:I almost forgot that no matter how well you prime it their will always be air trapped in the roof on the canister, even if you fill it with water up to the point were it will overflow once you get the cover back on!
As long as it stops doing it or that the impeller is not cavitating its OK

HTH

Ed, LOL... guys and instructions do not get along... :D

You mentioned cavitating... what exactly is that ? I used Aquaclears for 16 years so I'm not up on canister lingo.... :D Just got these canisters about six mos. ago. It takes about a day to stop. The thing is, it never happened before prior to the last cleaning and today's cleaning. The canister itself is sort of hissing and gurgling - noisy.

Ed13
04-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Ed, LOL... guys and instructions do not get along... :D

You mentioned cavitating... what exactly is that ? I used Aquaclears for 16 years so I'm not up on canister lingo.... :D Just got these canisters about six mos. ago. It takes about a day to stop. The thing is, it never happened before prior to the last cleaning and today's cleaning. The canister itself is sort of hissing and gurgling - noisy.

Nope I don't need no intructions!!!:D :D :D

Cavitating reffers to the pump not the canister! It basically means that there is so much air in the impeller housing that the impeller is spining freely, something like that!:D
Does it continue the gurgling sound after it stops producing bubbles?

BTW, I never use the cone thingy to prime them. I just take the canister outside or wherever you can spill water, open it, fill it with water untill it overflows and then I put the cover on again. I should overflow, the openings for the hoses should be full with water. Then check the hoses are full of water, connect the quick disconect clam, then I plug it. For me, the bubbles appeared as soon as it was plugged and the quickly stopped. Never more than an hr

MAking sure there is no air trapped inside is the most important part and the hardest, the air in the hoses or tubing should quickly be realeased

poconogal
04-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Nope I don't need no intructions!!!:D :D :D

Cavitating reffers to the pump not the canister! It basically means that there is so much air in the impeller housing that the impeller is spining freely, something like that!:D
Does it continue the gurgling sound after it stops producing bubbles?

BTW, I never use the cone thingy to prime them. I just take the canister outside or wherever you can spill water, open it, fill it with water untill it overflows and then I put the cover on again. I should overflow, the openings for the hoses should be full with water. Then check the hoses are full of water, connect the quick disconect clam, then I plug it. For me, the bubbles appeared as soon as it was plugged and the quickly stopped. Never more than an hr

MAking sure there is no air trapped inside is the most important part and the hardest, the air in the hoses or tubing should quickly be realeased

It doesn't gurgle once it stops producing bubbles. I don't use the cone thingy either. I just reattach the hoses and close the quick release thing and the water just fills the filter. I wait 2 full minutes (usually I wait longer) for it to be completely filled like instructions say and then start the filter. Last night the bubbles were lessening by about 9 p.m., but still, every few minutes I'd hear a big gurgle and a whole blast o' big and little bubbles would come out of the spray bar.

sophie68
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Lately, every time I clean my Rena XP3 or my XP1, after its primed exactly according to the instructions, when each filter is restarted I'm getting tons of tiny bubbles out of my spray bars. The bubbles continue for about a day. I've tried turning the filters off then restarting, no difference. I don't know what else I can do differently, especially since I'm following the instructions the manufacturer gives for priming, waiting a full 2 minutes (I set a timer) before starting the filter, etc. Luckily they are in different tanks, or I wouldn't be able to see the fish. Help!!!! I'm ready to take a hammer to these filters.
Hi Connie,

I have had the same problem recently!!!! What I did is wait longer than the 2 minutes time and that sometimes helps. I also noticed that when I would fill up the canister myself before reconnecting it (so as to avoid priming, I assume that's what you do?), I saw litle bubbles of air when the canister was being filled. In that case, I wait a bit for the air to get out then I close the canister. How long have you had your Renas? Only my oldest one is doing that, it's an XP2. I wonder if it's not a sign of "old age"... BTW, I finally figured out what was wrong with my Eheim 2028. Nothing!!!!! It was me and the way my UV sterilizer was hooked up. So you will love it when you hook it up...
Good luck with your Rena. I am sure it will be okay.... Let me know how you make out.

Sophie

poconogal
04-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Connie,

I have had the same problem recently!!!! What I did is wait longer than the 2 minutes time and that sometimes helps. I also noticed that when I would fill up the canister myself before reconnecting it (so as to avoid priming, I assume that's what you do?), I saw litle bubbles of air when the canister was being filled. In that case, I wait a bit for the air to get out then I close the canister. How long have you had your Renas? Only my oldest one is doing that, it's an XP2. I wonder if it's not a sign of "old age"... BTW, I finally figured out what was wrong with my Eheim 2028. Nothing!!!!! It was me and the way my UV sterilizer was hooked up. So you will love it when you hook it up...
Good luck with your Rena. I am sure it will be okay.... Let me know how you make out.

Sophie
Hi Sophie, how are you doing? You know, I do wait longer than the 2 minutes. I just reconnect the quick disconnect valve and hoses back to the filter and let the tank water fill it up. I once tried filling up the canister first and it wouldn't run for some reason. One day I will get my Eheim 2028 hooked up... one day... thanks for letting me know there was nothing wrong with it!