PDA

View Full Version : Blackworms

karinS
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi you all, I would like to know if anybody feeding blackworms anymore?
April when I was over there you were still feeding blackworms weren't you. Anyways I would really like to know.
All the best Karin

poconogal
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
My Discus are working their way thru a lb. of blackworms... boy do they get excited when they see the worm keeper in my hand...

Harriett
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I feed it regularly to growing youngsters and to breeders.
Harriett

billeagan
04-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I feed black worms.

GC_PAUL
04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Nothing better to feed those young ones to get them up to size. No secret just clean them every day and keep cool Jmo

roclement
04-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Yupper! Please see post on the product review section on CBW! I love them!

Rod

Elite Aquaria
04-18-2007, 09:39 PM
This topic has been discussed many times...you can do a search and you will see many different opinions...I love black worms.

Dan

April
04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
hi Karin. i did for a very long time . but lately i havent. sometimes..i get them..but my supplier is up and down in quality . so i quit for now. i did go for years though without problems.

karinS
04-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks everybody for the good advice I just ordered a pound.
I have small babies and I guess they will do good on them. Thanks April.
All the best Karin

bavaria36
04-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Only problem is that your fish get hooked on them and really lose their apetite for other foods. They go crazy for them. I found the worms easy to keep in the refrigerator. Just make sure that you have aged , cold water to perform the water changes.

It seemed to me that they would eat as many worms as I would throw into the tank even if they were absolutely stuffed. I have never seen them eat that way before or since the blackworms ......

Aaron

tdr1919
04-19-2007, 08:13 PM
No live worms for me, only frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, color bits and the main course beefheart-
-Tom

Greg Richardson
04-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Only problem is that your fish get hooked on them and really lose their apetite for other foods.

You aren't the only one that has happened to.
Has taken a couple months of rehab just to get them eating everything again.
I only fed them end of day also. Having heard of the possibility I wanted to do everything I could so they'd not look at CBW like it's the only food worth eating. Some people's discus never have this problem.
But when it happens it sucks!

bavaria36
04-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I agree Greg,

its been over two weeks now since I stopped feeding the BW's and their appetite is still not back to normal.

I have one fish in particular who is always the last one to eat. When I fed BW's he was out showing and pushing in the frenzy like with the rest of the fish. Now he is back to his old ways and stays at the back picking scrape of BH and BW's.

I also noticed ( and this may be a coincidence ) that four of the fish just seemed a lot more stressed during that month when I was feeding the CBW's ... you know... darker and more vertical bands showing. I do not think they were sick but maybe the BW's just increased the aggression between the fish making them more stressed.They seem to be calming down now.

I will probably use CBW's again in the future but I will buy less and feed much more sparingly.

Aaron

Elite Aquaria
04-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I feed it as a treat at the end of the day...I come home at around 5pm..my fish get feed frozen small feedings of bloodworms about ever 1-2 hours. I do a 80% water change then feed the CBW until my juvies bellies are ready to blow up then the lights go out 30-40 min later.

Dan