PDA

View Full Version : New floor and tank feet...

bikhu
04-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi,
I am having a new floor installed in my rec/fish room today. Although I would have preferred to install tile we went with vinyl for economic reasons. Three of my tank stands are iron frames (hip stands?) and support 2 tanks each-
65gal and 40B; 45gal and 30gal; and a 65gal with a 15gal. I have two concerns. First, I want to level the tanks of course. I have heard of using styro to do so? Secondly, I need to put something under the feet ot the stand to protect the floor. This is in my basement so the vinyl is going directly on concrete so it is very solid but still I don't want the weight to destroy the vinyl. Thoughts? I also have a 55 on a full wooden cabinet stand so I am less worried about that one harming the floor.
In advance, thanks for your input and suggestions.
peter

jeep
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I would just run a 2x4 across the length of the frame on the front and back. This will distribute the weight evenly and you won't have to worry about shimming the legs...

Mr. Limpet
04-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Bikhu,
I would suggest that something as simple as a 4"x4" piece of 1" thick pine under each leg would suffice. Although thinking about it, pine might split, maybe plywood would be better. You could even spray paint them black so they would look better.
Good Luck,
Paul.

bikhu
04-19-2007, 05:16 PM
THanks for your replies. THey completed the floor and we are very pleased with the end result. I asked the intallers what they thought and they suggested those little rubber or hard plastic things they sell commercially at Lowes or whatever. They also liked Paul's suggestion about the squares of plywood. I am wondering though if Jeep's idea about the 2x's would help with the leveling... My gut tells me that if the tanks are not level the wood would allow for self leveling by giving to the weight... does that make sense or is this just wishful thinking?
Thanks again...
peter

GC_PAUL
04-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Peter
Using the 2x4 under the tanks or using plywood or those rubber square things will do nothing to level your tanks, wishful thinking. Using 3/4 " ply pieces 4x4 or so will help distribute the weight so as not to sink to deep into the vinyl floor.If you use those under the stand feet you than can level the stand by inserting wood shim pieces of the various sizes under each foot to level the stand.You can also use styro on stand under tank for compression adjustment. HTH

Bainbridge Mike
04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
I would go with 4 inch square pieces of 3/4 inch plywood. Plywood has good compressive strength. Also, you can use shims between the bottom of the stand and the plywood squares to get your aquarium completely level! At most hardware stores you can find plastic shims that hold up better than the wood shims. My basement floor is a bit lumpy and I used a jack and some shims to get it spot on level.

Mike