PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Kindredspirit
04-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Hey guys what do you think about putting 12 discus in a 55gal? Wc's at least four times a week....

.....permanently?

Dying for Discus
04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi Marie!!

That's a lot of fish in a 55. Are they all runts or really small?? I have six full grown in my 55 and I do 2 WC a day and still have nitrates over 15 by the end of the day if I skip my second change.

M

traco
04-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I've got 7 juveniles in a 65 gallon which is three feet long. 12, I think, might be too crowded. Are you trying to scale down on tanks and wanted to combine everyone (I'm thinking yes?). What about 1 bigger tank, like a 90 and sell the three 55's? A 90 is the same length as a 55 for figuring out where to place.

Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Kindredspirit
04-22-2007, 12:04 AM
hey guys, no they are not runts. They are my best ones left ~ I now have two 55gal. or i will. I can not sell anything else ~ i have much listed on CL and sold a lot today...almost $300...but I have a couch, frig, washer/dryer, and entertainment left.....to sell ~ I can not seem to sell the extra tanks I have ~

I know that 12 in a 55gal has bad written all over it ~ :(

t_j
04-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Have you tried livedeal.com??? If not try to post some items there it couldn't hurt and its free. But 12 in a 55 with four wc's a week is asking for trouble. I have the 125 and 12 discus alone in there make a big mess.

tpastrana
04-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Have you tried livedeal.com??? If not try to post some items there it couldn't hurt and its free. But 12 in a 55 with four wc's a week is asking for trouble. I have the 125 and 12 discus alone in there make a big mess.

I agree!!! I have 9 adults in my 90 gallon and I am seriously pushing it with doing water changes every other day. I cant seem to get away with doing water changes on the 3rd day. I have major guilt and I can see the fish arent too happy with me. I also have 2 fluval 404's & eheim 2026 running on this tank. I plan on removing the two fluval's and adding a eheim 2028 with the 2026 to help me out. The filters make a big difference IMO. 12 discus is way too many even if you had mad filtration going on your tank. You can get cheap tanks on CL every once in a while. Look for a 90 or slightly bigger and keep just one tank. So much easier to take care of also.
Good Luck Marie

Teresa

pcsb23
04-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey guys what do you think about putting 12 discus in a 55gal? Wc's at least four times a week....

.....permanently?
Marie, don't do it! Sooner or later it will end in a disaster.

Dying for Discus
04-22-2007, 03:49 PM
So you'll have two 55s? Why not six in each?

Maybe you could swap tanks with someone? Sometimes someone might have a tank that's too big and they want to downgrade for a 55 or something like that??

I'd swap with you but I have an arowana in my 120 g right now. I think I went way too big and bit off more than I could chew when I bought the arowana. But if he bites the dust or something I'd be willing to trade a 55 for my 120. LOL I shouldn't talk like that...really....but I would.

Kindredspirit
04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Marie, don't do it! Sooner or later it will end in a disaster.

This is exactly what I was thinking...the moment I got the idea...sooner or later...!

Okay ~ thanks guys! I have a bunch of people yelling me to disconnect my computer so they can take my desk and couch!!.....i better go~

I just wanted to sit a spell....:(