PDA

View Full Version : one of my discus ate my cardinal

sparts
04-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Wow, i have an 8inch discu in tank, this morning he just flameing ate one of my 1.5 inch cards maybe bit bigger than that ,they have been together from the start for last 3 months, 4 discus 5 cards in 4 foot tank planted. been ok eating well on bloodworm, just this morning the card swam past the discus and bam it pecked it first then snapped it from behind in half nearly then kept munching from behind happend so quick just head left floating has any one ever seen this befor cos i not read anything like this, and the card was not exactly small either

Graham
04-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Discus do discus things...natural diet.

My Cards were in the tank for a good month before the discus went in and they really didn't school very well. Since the discus went in they stay in a tight school...the D are predators

G

poconogal
04-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Some people have Discus that eat their small fish, some people have Discus that ignore their small fish. Mine ignore them, but my Discus were 4 inchers when I got them and are totally used to them in the tank, they don't notice them at all. I think adding a large 8" Discus in with small fish, even at the same time, is more likely to result in a very expensive snack for the Discus. BTW, I've read that Cardinals have been found in the stomachs of wild Discus, so they are part of the Discus' natural diet.

Troy McClure
04-24-2007, 09:51 AM
When I was trying to find good dithers, my discus chewed through 9 of 10 neons...and the discus were only 2-3" at the time! My girlfriend thought this was the most horrible thing I could ever do, but it's predation. Not much I can do about it. I went back to the LFS and ended up getting something less bite-size - black skirt tetras. They've been great ever since! Of course, black skirts seem to stay in a tighter group than the neons...

tpl*co
04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Hmmmm, maybe I'll wait to get any more cardinals....

So far they've been ignored, but I haven't taken a fin count lately... Look's like about the same number. :)

Tina