PDA

View Full Version : iodine/finrot

youngdiscus
04-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Well it seem's most of the discus are somewhat better, but one is still losing fin. I would like too try the iodine. All i could find was "tincture of iodine 2.5%" Active ingredents Isopropyl alcohol, proyleene glycol and purfied water. Its comes as a liquid, can this still be used? If yes, how do i go about swabbing the discus?

I,ve also read an article from jack wattley, stating the use of "tea tree oil" from the melaleuca tree. As a powerful treatment of bacterial and fungal infections/diseases. which has no effect on the bio filtration. Mabey this would be the best way too go? any thoughts?

Thank You.

Graham
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi, using the iodine is as simple as cataching the fish holding it in the net or your hand and swabbing the fins using a Q-tip dipped in the iodine. Needledd to say you don't want it in thier mouth, eyes or gills.

Mela-fix which has the tree oil is very mild and has only mild anti-bacterial properties..If it won't affect the nitrifying bacteria in the filter, why would it affect the bacteria causing the infection. Personally I think that it's junk.

IMO if you want something that's anti-bacterial then you use a true antibiotic.

G

youngdiscus
04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
So is the liquid iodine safe too use. with its ingredients, Isopropyl alcohol?
After swabbing should i place into qt

Graham
04-24-2007, 10:36 AM
It's completely safe. The fish can go into a QT if that makes dosing other meds easier.

tpl*co
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
I just swabbed a discus pec fins over the weekend with tincture of iodine and it seemed to take his fins back to where there was no damage? Otherwise it seemed to work like a charm.

Tina

Graham
04-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Tina , what it does is cleans away any necrotic tissue, leaving nice clean healthy edges to start healing

youngdiscus
04-25-2007, 03:21 PM
well treated 2 fish with iodine, now 1 is dead, and the other floating up sidedown barely breathing, doubt i can save him............................................... .......

tpl*co
04-25-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm so sorry about your loss :(. How big of an area did you treat? It should be used on a small localized area only. I made sure that I had it on just the fins and waited a few seconds before putting him back in the water. The fins by the next day seemed rotted away some so it is powerful stuff. Also, make sure it doesn't get into the mouth, gills or in the water since it is a poison.

(this was a LFS fish I got that had the fin problems, really nice fish just something wrong with the fins).

Tina

youngdiscus
04-25-2007, 03:48 PM
hmmmm mabey that was my mistake, I may have treated with too much. underestimated iodines power.

I treated the two that where very sick, the other discus seem too be in good shape after the maracyn-2 treatment.

All these diseases is kinda discouraging. I,ve been battling disease after disease. hope it ends here.

Graham
04-25-2007, 03:49 PM
I can assure you that the iodine swab didn't not kill the fish, if all you did was swab the fins ...I'm hoping that you didn't get any into the gills or mouth...it is a disinfectant and will burn soft tissue

Graham
04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Just how much area did you swab....this isn't a case of ''more is better''

youngdiscus
04-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Well the two i treated where very bad, every piece of fin was eatin away, so i used a cotton swab and gave a quick rub over all the fins,turned fish over and did other side of fins, then put back into the tank.

I made sure too stay away from gills and eyes.

One is still alive, but not sure how much longer, i placed into qt, He is still breathing but barely, sometimes floating upside down in the corner.

brewmaster15
04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi,
Can you post pics of all the fish in the tank? I was just reading your back posts and it sounds like this group of fish has had issues from day 1.

the fish you treated with iodine may have been too far gone... by your posts it looks like they have had this rot for at least 10 days or longer?

thanks,
al

youngdiscus
04-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Ill post some pictures up after supper, Yes this fish was suffering for much longer then 10days.

to tell you guys the truth, I lost my job and my money situation is bad. so im really at a limit with what i can do too treat these fish. but I try my best.

youngdiscus
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Heres the pictures of the fish, not all of them but most.

The second picture, is my large female, my fav out of the 10

brewmaster15
04-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi,
usually when more than 1 discus in a tank has fin rot, they rest may also have it.... Its very important that you maintain the best water quality you can here in case a pathogenic bacteria has been established.

hth,
al

ps.. I sent you a Pm.

Graham
04-25-2007, 07:08 PM
The fish in the pics don't look sick and no one seems to show any signs of F&T rot:confused: :confused: :confused:

youngdiscus
04-25-2007, 07:34 PM
The two that died today where the worst ones. The remaining 10 all seem too have gotten most of there fins back after the maracyn-2 treatment and clean water. there is only minimal damage too a few of my turks and one redpanda

The grey eye has also cleared up.

Im hoping things will remain this way.