PDA

View Full Version : Money saving Tips....

brewmaster15
04-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi all,
Since this hobby is so expensive and getting more so everyday...I thought it'd be a good discussion thread if we shared any ideas we had on cost saving strategies...

I'll go first with one on water storage barrels.. In addition to wrapping with insulation you may want to try putting the heater on a timer.. Set the timer to go on X amount of time before you do your water change... ( X time will depend on the ambient room temp that the barrel is in).In my Rubber made containers...it only takes a few hours to heat the water with aeration going.....no sense in heating it all day or longer if you age the water more than a day.

Not sure how much it will save...but should save some $$
hth,
al

Tropical Haven
04-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Hey Al, thats not a bad idea but by keeping the heater on all the time actually will save more money by kicking on every once in a while to hold the temp compared to running non stop for a couple of hours or longer. I did this test a few years ago to try to save money and I am saving more with it always on.

On another saving tip which I know probably isn't possible with some people is if your using a Python to clean your tanks I would try to drill some holes into your tanks and use this for your water change level. Place a bulk head fitting in at the bottom or the lower part of your back glass and run PVC up to the level you want the water to stop at when you drain. Use your Python and just clean the debris off the bottom of your tanks then turn off your water. Open up the ball valves that you have on your pvc pipe and let the remaining water drain down to the specific height of the top of your PVC pipe automatically. Turn off your valve then refill your tank like you normally do. This will save you money on water so it isn't continually running down your drain until your water level in your tank is where you want it.

poconogal
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
You can also save money on water while using a Python without any holes and fittings on your tank. I use my Python to get any debris off the tank bottom then I just turn my water off. The siphon that was started with the running water will continue (mine travels about 40 feet and up to my bathroom sink; depending on the location of your sink, this may not work for some of you, though). Granted its not as strong, it will not pull big poo out, and it does take a few minutes longer to drain, but the water will continue to be siphoned out of your tank for your WC without the waste of water that normally occurs when using a Python.

FishLover888
04-25-2007, 09:35 AM
I never use the tap water to power the Python suction. That will be a big waste of fresh water.

I just buy a long (20') hose and connected it to the Python. This will allow me to put the water outside in the garden and it is lower than the fish tank. Use the big tube of the Python to scoope up some water and let the gravity take over. It will start the draining process and you don't need to run your tap water all the time in order to drain the tank water. Besides, I'm re-using the old tank water for the garden. Never have to water the garden again and the plants like the water from the fish tank too. Don't need to put any more chem for the plant growth. Good for me, good for Monther Earth too.

I also have another hose that connect the tap adaptor to the water storage container so I don't need to switch them around.

FishLover888
04-25-2007, 09:42 AM
One thing you can do is buying your water treatement chem such as Prime in largest amount you can get. You will save some money and S&H charge too. In most case, they can last for two years. Buying once in two years will save you some money for sure, especially if you wait for the sales.

I don't buy these things in my LFS any more because they are over priced there for sure. You can shop on line and compare the price too.

brewmaster15
04-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi scott,

I did this test a few years ago to try to save money and I am saving more with it always on. Can you give me some more info here? Can you tell me how you tested it and where in your house the storage barrel was and if you aerate it? I can see that may be the case if the barrel is somewhere cold like a garage...but indoors it seems like it would be a saver since you only need to bring it up in a temp alittle....Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to test it.

-al

AADiscus
04-25-2007, 10:30 AM
On the topic of storage tubs: for those that have RO units, run your waste water line to drain into your storage tubs instead of down the drain. This also saves water by not having to fill the tub(s) completely up. ;)

mmorris
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Raise red wrigglers. The expense of doing so is minimal after the initial starter purchase and the worms reproduce like crazy! Martha

White Worm
04-25-2007, 01:31 PM
How about a demo on how you raise them and send us some cultures. I think this is probably the biggest money saver.....grow your own food! FBW's are pretty pricey when you are feeding about 7-8 cubes a day. I can imagine those who have more discus and feed FBW's...$$$!

steve.ryall
04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
My tip for saving money is not to keep discus in the first place :D ......how much could we all save then??? :confused: :D
(he says while in the middle of a water change!!)

Steve

Ed13
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
My tip for saving money is not to keep discus in the first place :D ......how much could we all save then??? :confused: :D
(he says while in the middle of a water change!!)

Steve
Well, not quite sure what everyone would save but for me:
-150g a day water change= $20 MONTHLY
-Electricity ~ $20 monthly

80w of light 12hrs a day
26 watt air pump
120watt circulation pump 24/7
4 200watt heaters 6hrs a day for 3 months of the year(just for the calculation as it could be more or less)This calculation for 4 75g grow out tanks means an increase of $40 to my utilities. The more tanks the more it increases. And for me the electric cost is volatil as it comes from thermoelectric power, so it'll be most likely way higher.
To this you have to add the set up cost from tanks, stands, filters, pumps, storage tanks, light fixtures, tubing, PVC and glue, plus any other construction materials and miscellaneous.

Let us not forget the cost of the discus themselves, food, meds, etc.

In other words, WE ARE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

alxjss
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
You can also save money on water while using a Python without any holes and fittings on your tank. I use my Python to get any debris off the tank bottom then I just turn my water off. The siphon that was started with the running water will continue (mine travels about 40 feet and up to my bathroom sink; depending on the location of your sink, this may not work for some of you, though). Granted its not as strong, it will not pull big poo out, and it does take a few minutes longer to drain, but the water will continue to be siphoned out of your tank for your WC without the waste of water that normally occurs when using a Python.

Connie,
That is what I do. I got tired of my siphon breaking on me. I just create a siphon w/gravity either to my sink or out the door. I even have a big barrel i drain my water into so i can use it for my plants and my landscaping. Just add and extra hose and put it where I want to. I even bought a hand pump siphon to get it started quicker. I don't use any water to drain my tanks.

tpl*co
04-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Mine would be lighting (wish I can follow my own words). My electric bill jumped with the wattage on my lights to grow plants :(. Plants are so pretty and help with water quality though. Try to use natural lighting as much as you can, and use just the amount of light you need for your purpose.

Another thing to check is how much wattage your filtration takes and use that as a deciding factor when purchasing equipment. (Seems that air pumps are cheap to run which will make sponge filters cheap to run).

Join a local aquarium society and check out the raffle tables and auctions! :). (getting used equipment is a gamble but can save big $$$$).

Have some other non-destructable fish that breeds like rabbits you can trade in for credit at the LFS to pay for discus food!

Internet shopping, price matching, swapping with other hobbiests :).

Tina

pcsb23
04-25-2007, 04:40 PM
When the lamps in your fishroom go, replace them with the newer low attage high output lamps.

In my fishroom I had 2 x 60W standard BC lamps, replaced these with 2 x 9W BC low energy lamps, light output the same, electricity bill lower!

Ardan
04-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I now use dechlor products from Jehmco. It is very economical , I use the Genesis brand. ONly need a small amount:) buy it by the gallon:)

Ardan

tdr1919
04-29-2007, 12:22 AM
I do the 1" per tank water change, use a siphon, I also buy frozen, cleaned beefheart from a butcher, using this with Hikari FBW's & FBS helps keep the price down.
-Tom

alxjss
04-29-2007, 09:35 AM
I was doing a search to find a forum on my Lionheads and I ran into this. What do u guys think?
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Underwater-Aquarium-Filter

Dr. Tankenstein
05-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Here's a site on worm cultivating. My dad used to raise "nightcrawelers" for bass fishing. Looks very doable!
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/publications/worm/worm.html
BTW, if you have a small tank <100 gallons, the bulk water available at most grocery stores (in the US) is micron, UV and R/0 filtered!

kaceyo
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey Tom,
Are you running planted or low bioload tanks? Replacing one inch of water a day p/tank sounds like paradise on earth, lol.

Kacey

Darren's Discus
05-01-2007, 11:52 PM
I give you a big money saving tip !!!
don't keep Discus. lol

cheers