PDA

View Full Version : Help! New Discus?? Babies??

wannabe68
04-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Good Morning all
I have been "keeping" discus now for 6+ months. Just keeping. Had no intention of breeding. Woke up this morning and there were eggs on a plant. I cut the plant and put it into a quarentene tank. What do I need to do?? Any help would be appreciated.

alxjss
04-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Okay, I am gonna take a shot @ this. I am sooo new, but have been reading alot. Don't take my advice as of yet, for i don't no if i am correct. i will soon find out. From what i have read, in order for the eggs to hatch, the parents must be w/the eggs in a separate tank. Is that right all?:confused:

Airex
04-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Good Morning all
I have been "keeping" discus now for 6+ months. Just keeping. Had no intention of breeding. Woke up this morning and there were eggs on a plant. I cut the plant and put it into a quarentene tank. What do I need to do?? Any help would be appreciated.

If you dont have the parents to take care of the eggs then it is going to be a very tedious process. Anyway, If you want to try, you can place the eggs near to the aeration so that the eggs get more water movement therefore more oxygen, the eggs will hatch in about 3 days. after 7days they should be free swimming.

wannabe68
04-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Won't the adult discus eat the eggs??

korbi_doc
04-28-2007, 12:02 PM
:D It is indeed a tedious process to "raise'm" from the eggs yourself, but has been described in the forum elsewhere....here is the problem, first, females can lay eggs with or without the male...one does not truly know if you have a pair until you "see wigglers", since 2 females can lay eggs & protect them and act similarly to a pair....this is one of the reasons most of us would just let them practice in a community tank & wait & see if they can produce wigglers...then, place them in a tank by themselves in preparation for becoming "breeders"....usually the only time one artificially raises'm is if they become egg eaters & won't stop...I certainly wouldn't recommend the artificial method if you do not for certain that you have a pair......good luck.....JMO.....Dottie ;)

April
04-28-2007, 02:24 PM
just leave the parents for now..let them practise. they are most likely teenagers playing house. each time they should get further and if you get wigglers..then you have a fertile pair. then..as dottie said set up a breeding tank for them . move them over..and let the fun begin. they really need to feed off the parents for the first 5 days then start feeding bbs. best if they can care for them for the first two weeks . its wonderful to watch. dont worry..she will lay again very soon. keep their water good and watch and enjoy for now. let us know if those eggs you have go dark. maybe changing tanks and water may not be to their liking either. give the parents in the group tank an upside down flower pot to lay on. then when you get ready to move them over..you can take their flower pot with them.

alxjss
04-28-2007, 04:32 PM
well, i wasn't too far. I still need to keep reading! I see. U need to have wigglers in order to have babies, got it

White Worm
04-29-2007, 02:50 AM
wigglers like these and you know you have a fertile couple. The pic shows also what you will have if they are not fertile eggs. the white ones are no good. You will know within a few days if they are good or not. I am going on day 5 tomorrow.