PDA

View Full Version : FISH CAN HEAR RIGHT?

alxjss
04-29-2007, 08:11 AM
I was happily talking to my Lionhead the other day, actually all the time, and my father insists that fish can not hear. They go by vibrations. If so, then i have been making a fool out of myself for a long time talking to them. It seems they can hear me. When i talk to them they get all excited, like a dog wagging its tail. I just love it. My lionhead and blackmoor can hear me right?:confused:

Graham
04-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Sound is vibration......and so yes fish can hear. They don't have ears like we do obivously, but they sense sound using a set of bones located at the base of the head called the Weberian Ossicles. One end of these bones is attached to the swim bladder and the other end to a sensing organ similar to our iner ear.

They also use thier lateral line to sense vibration and shock waves in the water...so keep right on talking to them:)

mmorris
04-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Mine are bilingual. :)

Martha

alxjss
04-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Mine are bilingual. :)

Martha

HaaaaaHaaaaaaa LOL! That is a good one Martha!
Graham,
Thanks, i thought my fish could hear me!!!

poconogal
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I have conversations (only in English, mine aren't bilingual LOL) with mine. I ask them questions or tell them things like "Rose, what are you doing, go get your food over there" or "Scribble, stop eating so much, you're going to pop" etc. My husband thinks I'm nuts!