PDA

View Full Version : Does aged water look a little cloudy?

daopeter
04-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Just had a question since I just started using my 29 gal tank to store water for water changes. I have a sponged filter in there and a heater. After about a day or so the water goes from clear to a bit cloudy. Very noticeable if viewed from side to side of tank. I also use amquel to treat the water. Any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Elite Aquaria
04-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I suspect that the tank is in the process of cycling...check ammonia and nitrites. You may be surprised what readings you get.

Dan

daopeter
04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi Dan, I just checked tank water. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, temp 84. Strange isn't it, hmmm. Still got to figure this out as my cycled tanks look alot clearer than this water storage 29g tank. Thanks for your reply Dan.

Elite Aquaria
04-29-2007, 11:19 AM
What kind of water do you have is it tap or well water?

Dan

daopeter
04-29-2007, 11:23 AM
i have tap water Dan.

Elite Aquaria
04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
I have no clue...try keeping some tap water without the amquel for the same amount of time and see if you get the same results.

Do you have Chlorine/Chloramines in your water?

Dan

Graham
04-29-2007, 11:54 AM
It's not unusual for tap water to go cloudy a day or so after being expoused to air ....it's usually a bacteria bloom that takes off once the CO2 gases off

daopeter
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Dan, good thinking I should try it without the amquel. How come I didn't think of that?:confused: Graham thanks for your insight. Didn't know water could become cloudy when exposed to air. I just always have used a container to store water and could have never known the water was cloudy. Thanks for your input guys very much appreciate it. Peter.

White Worm
04-29-2007, 03:01 PM
It's not unusual for tap water to go cloudy a day or so after being expoused to air ....it's usually a bacteria bloom that takes off once the CO2 gases off
This is what mine does in the beginning but it clears rather quickly once the tank is established. This may happen if you clean too much of your filters at one time. The bacteria begin to multiply to catch up with the bio load.

mmorris
04-29-2007, 03:28 PM
I had a similar problem that I posted about when I was new to discus. I think the thread was called `cloudy water with water change'. My water went cloudy an hour or two after the water change but cleared by morning. People did not think it was a bacterial bloom, probably because it cleared by the am. Someone suggested I switch the water conditioner to Prime and that was that. No more cloudy water. Martha

Elite Aquaria
04-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Graham,

How can tap water which has been treated with chlorine have bacteria? Not disagreeing just do not understand and want clarification.

Dan

daopeter
04-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Well, my problem is the water that is being stored is becoming cloudy and not the water in the fish tank. The water in the fish tank is crystal clear however the water stored in the 29 gal tank is becoming cloudy after being aged for about a day or so. I did a water test and everything checked out ok. However this time I will not use the amquel. I will just aged the water without any chemicals just to see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

Graham
04-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Graham,

How can tap water which has been treated with chlorine have bacteria? Not disagreeing just do not understand and want clarification.

Dan

Dan there is always bacteria at some level in water...even in chlorinated water coming miles through a pipe to your house. Ever seen the slime layer inside a water pipe...spotless, they are not. Chlorine levels are set to drop bacteria counts to a certain level, not to nuke anything and everything living in it.

Even bottled water doesn't last forever, it'll develop a slime layer given time and that's a closed environment

jayp
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Just had a question since I just started using my 29 gal tank to store water for water changes.

I have a sponged filter in there and a heater.

After about a day or so the water goes from clear to a bit cloudy.

Very noticeable if viewed from side to side of tank. I also use amquel to treat the water. Any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

hi
if this is fresh water to be aged and added to your main tank why do you keep a sponged filter; imo a heater and an air stone should suffice. As the water is fresh it will not have any way to maintain any appropriate bacteria within the filter. Try without the filter and see what happens.

jay

daopeter
04-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Jay, good point. The reason I used a sponge filter is because I didn't have an airstone handy and also convenient at the time. I will give that a try and see what happens but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the sponge filter. Sponge filter is new by the way. Thanks

jayp
04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
Jay, good point. The reason I used a sponge filter is because I didn't have an airstone handy and also convenient at the time. I will give that a try and see what happens but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the sponge filter. Sponge filter is new by the way. Thanks

Thanks , i wasn't sure the sponge filter was new or had been cycled.

Elite Aquaria
04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Dan there is always bacteria at some level in water...even in chlorinated water coming miles through a pipe to your house. Ever seen the slime layer inside a water pipe...spotless, they are not. Chlorine levels are set to drop bacteria counts to a certain level, not to nuke anything and everything living in it.

Even bottled water doesn't last forever, it'll develop a slime layer given time and that's a closed environment

True...I never thought about that...No more bottled water for me ;)

Dan