View Full Version : Cardianl Tetra problem

Kevin22
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I have 15 Cardinal Tetras with my discus, they've been fine.
Last week, I found 3 of them had a wired swelling up at where their bodies meet the tails.
It's like a dark red ball at the end of their bady.
One fish had a white spot on the red ball.
They still eat, color looks fine as well.
Do anyone know what's that?
Thanks.

Graham
04-30-2007, 02:13 PM
a wired swelling

What's a wired swelling ???? is this fuzzy??

G

Kevin22
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
just a red round swelling, like a ball, about 1/16" to 1/8" diameter

Graham
04-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Kevin it's hard to tell what the weird swelling is...the odds are it's bacterial but on a cardinal it would be a little hard to swab it with iodine and not kill the fish.

You wouldn't want to medicate the whole tank for 3 small fish...any chance that you could get them into a QT?

poconogal
04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Some of my Cardinals have that. It started about 8 mos. ago. First one, then another. Now 3 have it. They eat, swim around with their buddies, don't lose weight. I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, it does not spread to other fish. It does not respond to parasite treatment with Parasite Clear, nor does it respond to Prazi. A few months after I purchased my cardinals, I found out that they were the remaining survivors of a whole tank full of cardinals that died of "Neon Tetra Disease." One of my cardinals did become misshapen and emaciated after developing this red lump just before the tail, but only one, no others. At times it looks like lymphocystitis, and sometimes the swelling will go completely down.

Kevin22
04-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi, Graham
I did put them in a QT.
Hi, Poconogal:
Thanks for your info, I think you got the same problem.
They might not a big problem. But I don't want to risk my discus, coz it looks like parasites some sort.
Yes, Prazi Pro doesn't work.
I'll try a bit salt.

pcsb23
04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Don't think this is a parasite, unless you can see something in the lump. It sounds more like a lession or a tumour. Salt won't work and is generally not a good thing to use on cards.

As hard as it is if it was me I would cull them.

Kevin22
04-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks, Paul:
I saw there was a white thing in it.
Any way, I agree to cull them.
Put salt, either cure them or kill them.
Kevin

poconogal
04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi, Graham
I did put them in a QT.
Hi, Poconogal:
Thanks for your info, I think you got the same problem.
They might not a big problem. But I don't want to risk my discus, coz it looks like parasites some sort.
Yes, Prazi Pro doesn't work.
I'll try a bit salt.
Well, it has never affected my Discus, my BNs or my Cory and no parasite treatment has worked, so I don't think its parasites either. But I understand how you feel.