PDA

View Full Version : LFS Discus

alxjss
04-30-2007, 07:37 PM
HEy all, have a ?. I was @ my lfs, not too impressed btw, and i saw what i think were 2 red mellons. They were in a show tank with lots of other fish. I would say the tank was about 40 something gals. The fish were about 4 "'s and looked real scared. Not very happy. Anyway, they were all peppery on the head, doesn't bother me, but when I went into their fishroom, they had 3orange fish, around 3"s and they didn't look good at all. They wanted$59. for one w/no guarentee. I thought by my little knowledge, it was not a good deal. I would rather spend the money on gas to Cary's place. So sad:( My ? is would there be color @ that size. These guys were colourful!!

Bainbridge Mike
04-30-2007, 08:12 PM
In my experience, 3 inch fish are usually starting to color--but most pigeon blood types don't show good color until they are nearly full-grown. There are two exceptions: (1) fish can show more color earlier if hormoned or fed color-enhancers; or (2) the fish could be quite old and stunted in size (in which case, they are showing adult coloring but won't grow much). :(

take your money elsewhere.

Mike

April
04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
dont get those fish..wait till you go to carys. its a waste of money..and trying to save them just makes them think they have sales and they will replace them with more to runt out or get sick.
cary is the place to go. your jaw will drop when you see his place. i promise . its like an amazing field trip. babies and eggs..and juveniles..and pairs..oh my.
and a fee education also on how to select fish.
im sure they are older than you think and stunted at the lfs.

alxjss
05-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I had no intentions of buying these fish. I can get 2 healthy fish for the price of one, and i no they will be healthy. I just was looking around. I now no a little of what to look for., i still think they are cool but i want to see healthy, beautiful, happy fish, and that will happen soon!
Its just sad to see what people will do for a buck. People have NO clue about things and yet they take the advice of a stranger. Trusting they're advice. I just wanted to tell all the people in the store to do research before they buy, but of cours, i didn't.

AADiscus
05-02-2007, 12:37 PM
When we go into a fish I always look to see if they have discus. NOT TO BUY! Just to see. I like to start asking questions like I know nothing about the fish. Those people are so clueless on raising discus. I just laugh inside thinking you are sooooo wrong with your info.

alxjss
05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
u r right. I don't even ask anymore because it disgusts me. I don't like getting ripped off. It too bad u have to no about everything in order to get what u pay for! |Cant trust anyone!!!