PDA

View Full Version : How to setup easy QT?

amyandlars
05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
I currently have 4 Discus in a 100gal tank. I want to 4 more to finish out my Discus pop for the tank. I wanted adults, but it seems that the stain I really want is only at 3.5" from my prefered seller. So here is what I have and maybe my questions on what I need to do.

I have 1 spare peguin 350 HOB filter and a power head. The other tank has 2 of the same filter, so I'm going to add some filter material and do the normal fishless cycle.

I want to know:
1. Is there something else that would work for the 6 weeks other than another fishtank? Looking for something that can be easily be put away at the end.

2. 6 weeks is long enough for .5" of growth right? I know the juvi feeding schedule, and w/c needs, just want to make sure I'm skewing this to what I want.

FishLover888
05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
You don't need to do a fishless cycle if you have one existing tank already. Just run the sapre 350 HOB in the existing tank for a week or so you will have a matured filter. Fill the other tank with treated water and put in the 350 you are ready to put fish in. Just make sure you do lots of WCs for the first few days to allow the filter to catch up with the new bio load.

lillou
05-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Try a larger rubbermaid tote. They make em clear if you need but the discus might be better off in one they can't see through the sides to keep their stress levels down

As far as the filter goes Fishlover has given you good advice on that already

mmorris
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Try a larger rubbermaid tote. They make em clear if you need

You'll want a clear view of the discus in order to spot any issues or problems if they should develop. Martha