PDA

View Full Version : Discus behaviour

skanky
05-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Hi all just a quick question.I have a group of 6 Red Turqs which are 2 inches big.One of them has turned dark in colour(dark brown) and seems to be defending random parts of the tank and chasing the others away...once it was defending the heater now it is defending the filter....also i have noticed it cleaning each area it was defending..what does this behaviour mean?
Also I have noticed some of them fanning each other?What does this mean?Is it sexual,violent,play?
My first set of discus so I am learning as i go along.Thanks.

Don Trinko
05-03-2007, 06:08 AM
They change color with their mood. If they are dark all the time it could be a sighn of some problem.
2" is pretty small to be "playing house" . Your Discus may be establishing his teritory or that is is the "top Discus" in the tank. Don T.

skanky
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
It's just the one who is dark so I am guessing if it is a problem it would be specific to it alone...I don't think that it is the top discus as there is one discus who i believe is the top doscus other than the dark one...i think the dark one might be second in line...ok so what does the fanning mean?...i see lots of fanning going on...honestly i see two 'pairs'....and i use the term pairs loosely.... who are fond of each other and chase everyone else away...and then i see two single ones remaining...is this too young to be pairing?

sleonard
05-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Discus don't start pairing up until they are about 9 mos. old (at the earliest, some can take up to 2 yrs.) By this time they should be at least 4 1/2 - 5 inches.

If yours are pairing then they are approaching adulthood and are either genetic runts or have been stunted by poor conditions.

If they are only a couple of months old then they are establishing a pecking order.

The dark one may be at the bottom of the pecking order or he could be getting sick or both (getting sick because he's being picked on too much). In any case keep a close eye on him and watch for signs of illness (spend some time reading thru the "Disease and Medications" forum).

Scott

April
05-04-2007, 02:01 AM
definitely unless they were hormoned..and they are runted..id say the dark one is not feeling that great..and if they are tail slapping? just discus behaviour..pushing their weight around.
just keep a watch on them and see if they are all eating and have dark poo.
do lots of wcs..usually if they darken..they are telling you they need a big wc .