PDA

View Full Version : How many?

msbudlite
05-03-2007, 07:50 AM
I have a 46 gallon tank. At present there are 3 Discus, 1 Red Cardinal, Pleco, Clown Loach and a miniature Pleco (so the store tells me).

What is the MAX of Discus I should have in this tank? Are odd numbers better than even numbers?

I've seen yet another and would like to buy it.:D

poconogal
05-03-2007, 11:53 AM
You could have 5 discus in that tank, max. I used to have a 45 with 5. But with your loach and plecos, I wouldn't put any more, unless they're juvies and you can move them to a larger tank when they become larger. 5 would be a better number though, to spread any aggression. Watch the plecos, too, to make sure that they don't attach themselves to the sides of your Discus to eat their slime. If you have regular plecos, you might want to trade them in for some Bristle Nose plecos, which are almost guaranteed not to ever bother Discus and they stay small, about 4 inches.

DarkDiscus
05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I had 8 adult discus by themselves in a 46 gallon bowfront. Bare bottomed. 2 hydro sponges and an AquaClear. 50% daily water changes. They were in there for 8 months with no ill effects and most grew a bit.

With other fish, a gravel bottom, less water changes... I'd go with less.

poconogal
05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I had 8 adult discus by themselves in a 46 gallon bowfront. Bare bottomed. 2 hydro sponges and an AquaClear. 50% daily water changes. They were in there for 8 months with no ill effects and most grew a bit.

With other fish, a gravel bottom, less water changes... I'd go with less.

Yes, I HAD a gravel bottom and I don't do daily WCs, so I kept it at only 5.