PDA

View Full Version : Detoxification units

Darren's Discus
05-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi All,
as i said in my last article i posted here a few days ago titled chlorine and chloramines i have been doing some research into ro and di units now most di units are meant to run after an ro system or my understanding is they exaust very quickly now i have come across these units does anyone know about them as they claim there is no need to use and ro unit and the small 12 inch model will handle 150,000 litres and the large 30 inch unit 400,000 litres !

http://www.evolutionaqua.com/display.php?display_id=68&class_id=68

cheers

Graham
05-04-2007, 07:07 PM
While I can't tell you about these particular units, I can tell you that EA, based in the UK, was set up for the koi hobby and are held in the highest respect by the top dealers, breeders and hobbyists all over the world. Thier products are not cheap but proform as stated...top end stuff!

G

sleonard
05-04-2007, 09:00 PM
I just read the manuals and it appears that there are 3 different filters. A large carbon filter, a large deionization cartridge and a "detox filter". Not much is said about the detox filter but the other two don't seem to be any different than others available except for their size. For example, the amount of water that the deionozation cartridge will treat is based upon the TDS of the source water. At 500 ppm TDS (my tap water) the large 30" cartridge will only treat about 80 gallons. An equivalent amount of deionization media in the "normal" cartridges would treat the same 80 gallons.

On the other hand, my R/O membrane lasts for months. It doesn't produce 0 TDS water but I don't need nor want 0 TDS water for discus.

There's no magic way around de-mineralization.

Scott

Don Trinko
05-08-2007, 07:19 AM
My son in law installs water systems for a living . He has been doing it for 14 years. He say's that if you have clorine in your water you need a charcoal filter before the RO unit. The clorine will eventualy ruin the membrane in the RO unit. Don T.

Polar_Bear
05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I couldn't find any prices but considering that these are disposible units I would think the cost of changing them out would add up quickly. I prefer the replacable media type systems personally, much less costly to maintain.