PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Permanganate as a Net Dip

Jeff B
05-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Hi All,
I've read many articles about PP as a disinfectant but not too much about using it as a net dip. ... other than making a dark purple solution dipping the net ( no length of time mentioned ) and shaking off the excess.
I've also read that the PP needs to be neutralized ... would that not apply as a net dip ? Any help really appreciated as I've been running round in circles about this one ... http://www.discusfishuk.com/discusfishforum//style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

dandestroy
05-05-2007, 11:45 AM
500 mg/L is supposed to be effective to sterilize everything in 30 sec to 1 min.

no need to neutralize just clean it with running tap water and you'll be good to go.

Jeff B
05-05-2007, 01:10 PM
That's a great help .... many thanks. .... http://www.discusfishuk.com/discusfishforum//style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Daniella
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I thought that 1mg per liter was 1ppm? 2mg/liter was 2ppm.

so then 600 gallon would require 9 gram to reach a concentration of 4ppm. 2,2 gram would be only about 1ppm. 1 gram would be .5 ppm or less.

500mg/l would be 500ppm

did I get that wrong?

:) Lets see 1 gm or a 1000mg takes 600gals/2271L to about 4ppm and that kills most parasites...so 1/2 a gram in one liter.... :shocked: Damn thats a big number..........Yup that'll kill most anything :vanish: :D :D ;) ;)

Just rinse the net off before putting it in the tank

Elite Aquaria
05-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I use it as a net dip in my fish room...:D

seanyuki
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
The PP net dip is expensive....almost CAD $10 for 100 grams....would beach do:confused:....anyway you gonna rinse it...Please share your thoughts.

Cheers
Francis:)

seanyuki
05-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks Graham for the thoughts....5 lbs could last me for 10 years....I only use them on new arrivals when QT..ing and also for external infections.

Cheers

Bleach is much easier to use but they'll all ''eat'' the nets given time.

If you would like I can ship you 5 pounds for about $45 plus shipping

Discus-Hans
05-15-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't understand, Discus people use the freakiest aggressive $%#$@^ for anything. Are you guys never afraid all this crap can harm you in the long run???

Hans

seanyuki
05-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi Hans,

perhaps dipping the net in boiling hot water would do....could you suggest another method....me always learning.

Cheers

Eddie
05-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Hi Hans,

perhaps dipping the net in boiling hot water would do....could you suggest another method....me always learning.

Cheers

As I do not have many tanks, I have a net for each tank and I sterilize them after use by boiling them in a pot with tons of salt. :D

Eddie

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-15-2009, 08:34 AM
We have used bleach, benzlkonium chloride, and now we have switched to Virkon disinfectant. We use it on nets, hoses, footbaths, etc. We tried PP on nets before but it stained them...probably because they are made of different material than the standard fish net (cotton?). PP makes a very good net dip given that it is of proper strength and exposure time is long enough...same could be said for any other kind of net dip too.

-Ryan

Jhhnn
05-15-2009, 09:07 PM
With my whole Craigslist/ used aquariums adventure, I have lots of nets, so I just run 'em through the dishwasher with the dishes... it's not like anything will live through that...

Old-skool methods include aquari-sol or saturated salt solutions (a layer of salt crystals at the bottom of the container)- the advantage being that no rinsing is required...

Elite Aquaria
05-15-2009, 09:38 PM
With my whole Craigslist/ used aquariums adventure, I have lots of nets, so I just run 'em through the dishwasher with the dishes... it's not like anything will live through that...

WOW...I would love to try that one...I think I would be getting divorce papers though...;)

The sponges in the washer last week almost did me in...:D

Eddie
05-15-2009, 09:45 PM
WOW...I would love to try that one...I think I would be getting divorce papers though...;)

Oh, if I don't get into an argument about my gear being in the way every single day.......life wouldn't be same! LOL

Eddie

Jhhnn
05-16-2009, 04:18 PM

If you think about it much at all, people run a lot nastier stuff than that thru the dishwasher- crusty pet bowls, toddler toys...

I routinely use the dishwasher for used aquaria parts- hob filters, glass tops, UG filter plates, rocks, plastic plants, resin "ornaments"- you name it. Turn off the "heated dry" feature for best results- some of that stuff won't take it very well, and definitely turn off the "sanitize" feature- that gets things way too hot...

OH, yeh- put the plastic plants in mesh bags...

Stuff I don't want gets donated or traded- I haven't done any re-selling, yet...

tcyiu
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't understand, Discus people use the freakiest aggressive $%#$@^ for anything. Are you guys never afraid all this crap can harm you in the long run???

Hans

I'm with Hans. What about a concentrated salt dip? Super cheap, and super effective. And salt rinses away in a flash.

Or what about no nets at all? I like using foodsafe containers to catch and transport fish. Minimum stress and no slime coat gets rubbed off. And there are no nets to breed nasty germs.

Tim

tcyiu
05-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I would argue that the two do not have the same carrying capacity for bugs.

A net stays damp longer, and is porous so both detritus and pathogens can hang out a lot longer. My main issue with nets is that they scrape the slime off the fish which somewhat reduces their infection barrier. (The slime that's stuck on the net is heaven on earth for bacteria).

A smooth plastic, food-safe container tends to be hydrophobic. So water beads up and falls off. The dry plastic surface is not an ideal environment for bacteria. Theoretically, virii can stay virile on dry surfaces, but a good washing with soap will take care of most. (Of course one would NEVER wash a net in soap. It would be too hard to ensure that all the soap is gone from a net. Not a problem with plastic).

And finally, I find that transporting the fish in a plastic container leaves the fish somewhat confused but calm. There is no thrashing that is typical of transporting by nets. Perhaps they think they've fallen prey to an alien abduction. :-)

Tim

brewmaster15
05-29-2009, 07:35 AM
I use Bleach as a net dip when needed....it can eat thru some materials...but I have lucked out and gotten some great soft nets from jehmco.com that have been unbelievable immune....only problem is the wood handles..they are not and eventually the bleach eats thru...takes about a years use ....works okay though... I actually like them better without the handles for most of tanks!

-al

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-29-2009, 07:40 AM
I use Bleach as a net dip when needed....it can eat thru some materials...but I have lucked out and gotten some great soft nets from jehmco.com that have been unbelievable immune....only problem is the wood handles..they are not and eventually the bleach eats thru...takes about a years use ....works okay though... I actually like them better without the handles for most of tanks!

-al

www.4fishstuff.com (http://www.4fishstuff.com) has the best nets out there. SS handles and super strong cotton netting. Not cheap, but they will last for years. We have some that are 10+ years old and look new.

-Ryan

Eddie
05-29-2009, 07:52 AM
www.4fishstuff.com (http://www.4fishstuff.com) has the best nets out there. SS handles and super strong cotton netting. Not cheap, but they will last for years. We have some that are 10+ years old and look new.

-Ryan

Great link Ryan, lots of goodies on that site!

Thanks

Eddie

MostlyDiscus
05-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Nice site Ryan,, thx:) Some of the med prices are very reasonalble.

Ed