PDA

View Full Version : Nitrites up to 0.25 pm in main tank: advice needed

sophie68
05-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi all,
As a newbie to discus and BB tanks, I was expecting to have some water issues...and here is one! After a 50% WC at midday yesterday, my nitrites went up to 0.25 ppm when they were at 0 in the AM....????? I know I added Amquel +, as well as some Ultimate and Stress Coat and Stress Zyme. I tend to add too much rather than too little. Now, maybe this is bad for the water too....
I panicked last night because my tank is only about 2 months and a half old and so far my water had been almost perfect, nitrates being a bit high (10). So my dilemma is: do I do more WC, which so far have not helped whatsoever (I did one last night with no result at all) or do I add a big pouch of BIO Spira? I happen to have one in the fridge. Then, if I use BS, I am not sure how many WC I can do?
Any help would be very welcome as I am a bit lost!!!!! So far, my fish look okay but I have just lost one and I am worried that they might get sick again....I know nitrites are nasty for fish in the long run.... I should add I have an Eheim caniter 2028 but no sponge filter in the tank and I have already ordered some sponge filters. That was obviously a mistake! I cleaned the intake hose yesterday but I don't see how that would cause my biological filter to crash...
Thanks again!

Sophie