PDA

View Full Version : What to do *glee* !

Camden
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Ok, just got a nice 55 gallon tank for relativity cheap price $150 including stand, protein skimmer, and a couple of wave makers. Couple questions though. I never have had a protein skimmer how exactly does it work? I know there's a tornado involved etc but really have no clue in basic terms what it does. Also should I hook up the wave makers once I get discus in there or will the current be too strong and stress out of the discus?

couple pics:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Gamdian/P1000226.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m191/Gamdian/P1000194.jpg

Also what do you guys think I should do with this tank? I've always wanted to try planted but I have no clue on the upkeep etc. I do know if I get planted I should get adult discus though. So 6 should be alright in a 55. Maybe planted with Heckles? heh so many choices. Suggestions would be appreciated!

BTW mollies are my sacrificial fish. :angel: They won't be staying in there. I just couldn't stand having an empty tank.

tpl*co
05-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Sounds like it was used as a salt water aquarium, prob. a reef aquarium :). You can take off the protein skimmer and the wave maker you won't need them in a freshwater setup. Check the bulbs, you probably have some actinic bulbs in there too. Take those out and replace them with 6700K or plant bulbs. What type of filtration does it have? Have fun! :)

Tina

Camden
05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Sounds like it was used as a salt water aquarium, prob. a reef aquarium :). You can take off the protein skimmer and the wave maker you won't need them in a freshwater setup. Check the bulbs, you probably have some actinic bulbs in there too. Take those out and replace them with 6700K or plant bulbs. What type of filtration does it have? Have fun! :)

Tina
awww so I won't need a protein skimmer :( whats it do? I haven't gotten a filter for it yet looking around for a good canister.

tpl*co
05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
awww so I won't need a protein skimmer :( whats it do? I haven't gotten a filter for it yet looking around for a good canister.

I guess salt water critters put out a lot of scummy protein stuff that floats on the surface, the surface skimmer collects it for disposal. (never kept saltwater, but that's what I think it does if I remember right :))

Tina

tdr1919
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM

I really like the Cascade canister filters, they are a snap to maintain, my 1500 on the 72 has been in operation for three years, only cleaning every 2 months or so.
Tom

svdfinally
05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a reef and the protein skimmer is only for saltwater tanks (just like Tina said) so they won't work for freshwater (wish it did). As for plants, which is my big thing, I would say either do plants or discus to start with not both.

amyandlars
05-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Ha ha on the protein skimmer. We have a saltwater tank, and when we did the first leak test we tried running the protein skimmer, and of course it didn't work. Had to ask on reefcentral.com why my skimmer wasn't working. There's not enough surface tension in freshwater to get the skimmer to skim anything. So you might as well craiglist it or something.