PDA

View Full Version : Please Learn from My Mistake

marilyn1998
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
As you may or not know I have taken some time from the forums due to Real Lifes problems.

My husband was diagnosed with cancer in January 07 and since then has been on disability. I was laid off last January 06, so we both decided it was finally time to downsize and find that nice condo where we didnt have to worry about high mortgages and outside yard work.

I have been keeping my 90 gallon tank going as it is my pride and joy and keeps me sane these days.

Last weekend, after an Open House, I came home to find my fish dead and/or dying. Floating in the tank was a bottle of Glass Plus with the collar loosened.
Most of it had leaked into the tank water. I guess when I was doing that last minute "spiffing up", I left the glass plus out where little bored hands to get a hold of it.

My agent said he never saw anyone playing by the tank.

Just wanted to remind others to keep toxins AWAY from your tank, even while cleaning as the filters can suck the fumes inside and kill your babies.

22 fish... gone... in a moment. :angel: :(

Guess I will need to restock once the move is over.

Marilyn

Kenny's Discus
05-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Marilyn, I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's health problems. As you know our family had been battling this disease for years and I can totally relate to what you're feeling/going through right now. I hope everything will be okay with you 2 and if you need to talk you can call me anytime. I wish your husband a full recovery...cancer can be defeated as many have done it before.

I'm also sorry to hear of the loss of your fish.:( I currently have some Leopards, LSSs, Blue Snakes, Brillant Turks, etc... swimming around in my own tanks(not the warehouse) so after you're done moving and have settled you can have some of these fish if you like.;) During our difficult times(mom) I myself have found that having discus/fish can sometimes take your mind off of things a little so I hope you'll take up on my offer.:)

You take care Marilyn and I wish you and your husband nothing but the very best.

Kenny
(510) 712-7599

AmberC
05-08-2007, 08:38 PM
OMG Marilyn I am so sorry! I have been thinking about you lately. Its good to see you but I am so sorry this happened! :(

marilyn1998
05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Kenny,

What a nice offer! I know the rollercoaster ride you went through with your mom. It impacts every aspect of your being. I found myself not looking for work because I just don;t know at this point how effective I would be.

I love this forum, and Kenny, you are a great uplifting soul. Thanks so much for your comments.

marilyn1998
05-08-2007, 08:46 PM
OMG Marilyn I am so sorry! I have been thinking about you lately. Its good to see you but I am so sorry this happened! :(

Amber,

Again, thanks so much for your concern. It means alot to me. Those poor fish just didnt have a chance! I felt so responsible, and I know they are just fish, but I had elevated them to "people status" as they were a way for me to feel 'in control' of something.

Good luck to your daughter in her ear tube trauma.

Marilyn

Kenny's Discus
05-08-2007, 08:54 PM
That's what we're here for Marilyn...helping each other out in times of need.

It's normal to not have "strengths" to do other things when your love ones become sick...we understand Marilyn.

Remember to take care of yourself and your husband, best wishes to you.

Kenny

traco
05-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Marilyn, so sorry to hear about your fish and on top of everything else! Try not to be too hard on yourself (I know, easier said than done though).

Once you get settled into your new place, which will be so nice to be high mortgage and yardwork free, it sounds like you will be able to sit back and enjoy your new home and some new discus. They really do give peace of mind. It will be busy and hectic with selling your place, and then it will be perfect once things have settled down and you are all moved in.

Can't send you some fish but am sending hugs to you. Aren't there some great people here on Simply (Kenny for one!).:D

Take care and keep us posted on what you eventually get for a new home.

Kindredspirit
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey You! I am so sorry Marilyn for your loss! I think of you everytime I do a wc and clean that filter you sent me .....remember?

I wish I could send you something.....

I know the feeling of downsizing ~ we just did this too ~ more so than we wanted but nonetheless:(

If you want to talk ~ call me @ 916-821-6731 ~

Love You Woman....

Marie ~ :balloon:

April
05-08-2007, 09:13 PM
marilyn...so sorry to hear. ill cross my fingers for you and your husband.
kenny..that is so kind of you.
ive heard of other people who lost their fish due to workmen and carpet glue..etc..getting in or near their tanks. just one of those very unfortunate events. dont beat yourself up..happens.

marilyn1998
05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
That's what we're here for Marilyn...helping each other out in times of need.

It's normal to not have "strengths" to do other things when your love ones become sick...we understand Marilyn.

Remember to take care of yourself and your husband, best wishes to you.

Kenny

I know better than anyone what you have gone through. I try to find something good in each day. Thanks Kenny, I am sure I will call you some time when things need to be shared with someone not involved. Thanks again, you are truly an angel.

marilyn1998
05-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Marilyn, so sorry to hear about your fish and on top of everything else! Try not to be too hard on yourself (I know, easier said than done though).

Once you get settled into your new place, which will be so nice to be high mortgage and yardwork free, it sounds like you will be able to sit back and enjoy your new home and some new discus. They really do give peace of mind. It will be busy and hectic with selling your place, and then it will be perfect once things have settled down and you are all moved in.

Can't send you some fish but am sending hugs to you. Aren't there some great people here on Simply (Kenny for one!).:D

Take care and keep us posted on what you eventually get for a new home.

Tina,

I had forgotten just how great this forum is!!!! I am now busy reading to catch up on everyone. Hope all your guys start getting along! Sitting and watching them is better than TV!

marilyn1998
05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey You! I am so sorry Marilyn for your loss! I think of you everytime I do a wc and clean that filter you sent me .....remember?

I wish I could send you something.....

I know the feeling of downsizing ~ we just did this too ~ more so than we wanted but nonetheless:(

If you want to talk ~ call me @ 916-821-6731 ~

Love You Woman....

Marie ~ :balloon:

Hey there sis!!!! I have been following all your trials and tribulations. If there is anything I can send you... let me know. I have llike 2 kitchens worth of stuff here. And it all add up!

I love your new tank of colors!!!!!

marilyn1998
05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
marilyn...so sorry to hear. ill cross my fingers for you and your husband.
kenny..that is so kind of you.
ive heard of other people who lost their fish due to workmen and carpet glue..etc..getting in or near their tanks. just one of those very unfortunate events. dont beat yourself up..happens.

thanks April for your thoughts and wishes. I really think we all needed to be reminded of the dangers of things AROUND the tank as well as within.

Congrats on your business doing so well!

Kindredspirit
05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey there sis!!!! I have been following all your trials and tribulations. If there is anything I can send you... let me know. I have llike 2 kitchens worth of stuff here. And it all add up!

I love your new tank of colors!!!!!

Thank You! Gosh I have missed you ~ The Game Of Life ......Do we ever win? I have been so low since we discovered some more things gone....

.....and now your fish ~

Say your prayers....and I will too~

fishmama
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Oh Marilyn, so sorry to hear about the fish. And I certainly hope your husband well! My mother battled cancer for 9 years! And it was always the little things that made life beautiful...

Ardan
05-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Marilyn,
I am very sorry to hear of your layoff, your fish loss and especially your husbands cancer.
I will keep you in my prayers. I hope things start going well for you.

Ardan

pheonix
05-09-2007, 07:24 AM
I am new here.
I am so sorry for your loss and your situation at home.

My prayers and well wishes are with you!:angel:

brewmaster15
05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
Marilyn,

I'm very sorry to hear about your husbands Cancer and your work situation....Thats much for anyone to deal with.:(:(:(The Fish loss , though sad, is easy enough to fix after the move....If I can help in anyway let me know.... and please keep us posted on things.

Take care,
al

pinkertd
05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Hi Marilyn,
I am also new here. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Wish I had a tank full of fish to give you to ease the loss of your fish. I know full well time spent watching my babies is time spent with my mind off my life's tough challenges for just a little while.....Kenny you are so kind, you're truly an angel!!:angel: :angel:

LizStreithorst
05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Marilyn, I'm sorry things are so tough on you right now. You have a lot of friends here and as you can see we're all hoping that things will take a turn for the better soon. Hang in.

steve.ryall
05-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Marilyn,

As normal, when it rains, it pours. I am so sorry to hear of your Husband's cancer, both of you stay strong, you can get through this together. Your fish were another blow! what bad luck..
I am too far away to do anything physical to help, but my thoughts are with you.

Steve

Ed13
05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your husbands situation and your job. Take care of yourself and your husband, the fish while disapointing can be resolved, thanks to the many friends you have here and elsewhere.

Good luck, my thoughts are with you!
Ed

tpl*co
05-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and your husband :(. Hope things start looking up soon.

Tina

dpt8
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Hope your husband gets well soon !! As for the real estate agent, you better get a new one. They are responsible to your loss. I am a part time real etsate agent. I would looose my head if that happened while I was showing a house. Even the open houses, people should NOT run amuck in your home !!

poconogal
05-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Marilyn, what an awful run you've had. I'm sorry to hear what happened. I hope things start picking up for you guys real soon.

Elaine_Bryant
05-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Marilyn my thoughts are with you, I'm so sorry about your discus....my husband is on disablity due to cancer also....he also has a blood disorder called polysythemia....once he spent 3 months so weak he couldn't get outside and he watched my discus. They really cheered him up, they got where he would put his hand against the tank and all 7 would come over and "visit". Take care Elaine

tony1313
05-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Marilyn,
I'm sory to hear that thing are not going so well. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers. It's definately not a good time to live in MI. Let me know when your all setteled in at you new place and ready to start up discus again and I will put a few in you tank if you would like. Hang in there things will get better.
:o
Tony