PDA

View Full Version : What am I going to do with all these shivering Discus?

poconogal
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
My tank has become a disaster. I had one spawning pair. Then one night I had three pairs shivering at each other at the same time and all three pairs spawned, left, right and center of the tank at almost the same time. I now have another one shivering. Last night I had my BD, my Blue PB, and my Red Scribbled shivering (the Red Scribbled is new to this), and my Rose Reds had two batches of eggs they were guarding as well. I think the Rose Reds are kind of odd in that they've been spawing two nights in a row lately. :confused: Now I have so much chasing and fighting over spawning sites its ridiculous. I think I see more tanks in my future... :( BTW, I use unaged tap water from my well...

tpl*co
05-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Get them a blanket?;) :D

Tina

poconogal
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
LOL Tina, I was thinking of knitting them little jackets...

alxjss
05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Wow Connie, sounds like more tanks to me!!!

Camden
05-09-2007, 03:12 PM
time to make a fish room.

tpl*co
05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
time to make a fish room.

And get more juvies to grow out in the tank they are in now :D

Tina

wolfbane
05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Sounds like there will be plenty to grow out when they get their own tanks, Lol. Do they make Discus spawn-control pills??

Kindredspirit
05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
What is in your water, woman? :)

Polar_Bear
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I say "get more tanks", I put 3 pairs in breeding tanks and like magic they no longer want to lay eggs. Of course as soon as they go back into the community tank, then they lay eggs again.

red_monk
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Let nature take its course.. Looks like a brand new start to a discus breeding career. :D :D :D ;)

Tropical Haven
05-09-2007, 04:49 PM
You can always send me your eggs after they become wigglers. :D

red_monk
05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
With regards to the aquarium water which was mentioned to be a pure tap unaged water, wouldn't this pose a problem in raising the fry?

A few years back when i first started raising discus, i had an experience with a spawning pair in my community tank. The fry would live for 2 days maximum after a free-swimming period. I was using tap water w/ no PH alterations but i did use a product attached to my filter -- Sera Siporax. I had no RO unit in my house so i completely relied on tap water.

What could have been the cause of the death of all the fry?

Ben75
05-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi Connie,
I had 1 pair of bd & 4 other fish last night shivering at each other & i thought i was excited! Man if i had that action in my tank i probably would have had a heart attack.... my advice set up as many new tanks as you can, spare no expence! cause you know you want to :)

tdr1919
05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Connie,
20 gal. highs are great for breeding, and they are cheaper to maintain, get
2 of them up right away, fill them with the water you are changing from your main tank, get the sponge filters going, you can also hang small external filters on them. Keep track of who the pairs are, in about 2 weeks or when they are ready to spawn again move 2 pairs over to the new setups, the tanks should be cycled, make sure you have flower pots in there so they dont lay on the tank sides. Now you have to start another tank for the fry!!!
and a brine shrimp hatchery!
Sounds like your mountain water is great - good luck -
There is a thread where JimmyL lays down some great info on hatching the fry.
- Tom

Discus-Hans
05-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Connie if the rose reds spawn in 2 following nights they are probaly both female.

Don't put any thing yet in a breeding tank, waith first or something is hatching before you put 2 females in a tank,

Hans

Ryan
05-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Connie, I think we're in the same boat. It started with one female laying eggs, and now two weeks later every fish in the tank has gone crazy. So far I've got two females and three unconfirmed, but surely I have a few males because the fighting has been extremely aggressive and nasty among the unconfirmed three fish.

I don't see more tanks in my future, just a bigger one. Hopefully that gives them all room to stretch their fins and calm down a little.

Discus-Hans
05-10-2007, 02:29 AM
It happens a lot, at the moment it's going here from tank to tank, probaly bad weather on it's way.

This male had the time of his life, two females, one on each side of the cone, he was going from left to right, the lucky :angel:

The rest in the tank took care of that problem :) :)

Hans

LizStreithorst
05-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Well, well, well, won't he be the envy of the rest of the tank now. Two females at the same time and took care fo them both. He's da fish!

poconogal
05-10-2007, 11:16 AM
It happens a lot, at the moment it's going here from tank to tank, probaly bad weather on it's way.

This male had the time of his life, two females, one on each side of the cone, he was going from left to right, the lucky :angel:

The rest in the tank took care of that problem :) :)

Hans

--Hans, there IS bad weather on the way! :D

As for my Rose Reds, breeding tubes look very different - I'm sure male and female, and I always only see Rose laying eggs, never saw the other, Rudy, lay eggs. I'll see Rose lay eggs one day, then I'll see her lay eggs again the next. I see the male, Rudy, make his runs over the eggs. They pick 2 spots, close by, and when its feeding time they forget they have any eggs and both swim away to eat. Eggs are snacks then.

My first pair, BD and Leopard, work beautifully together, and they take turns to swim around or go eat. I regularly get wigglers who go freeswimming and then become snacks. They have always been very good parents, from the very first spawn.

Third pair is my Stendker Blue PB (who BTW used to lay eggs every FOUR days, a regular egg factory, she was) and my WB, but I think they got a divorce. She got annoyed with him. ;)

--Ryan, this tank IS my larger tank! LOL!!! I'm struggling to keep up with what I have, no time at all for any more tanks! I really want a Discus spawn control pill! :D

Camden
05-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I really want a Discus spawn control pill! :D

You could always suck up the eggs with a python?

pcsb23
05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Connie, I've made the offer before, and whilst it will cause me a great deal of personal inconvenience I really feel that you should ship those fish to me - you know it makes sense ;)

Darren's Discus
05-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Hans,
great picture.

cheers