PDA

View Full Version : New book on raising champion discus

devonpond
05-11-2007, 08:56 AM
by Dick Au, Sun See Seng, & Francisco Denitto.

Focuses on selecting, grooming and showing discus.

Trophy Discus, Cichlid Press 2007

Information still spotty:
funky translation from Italian (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.neogea.it/catalog/product_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D1994&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Trophy%2BDiscus%2522%26hl%3Den%2 6client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DZDU%26sa%3DG)

brewmaster15
05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the Info...

I'll be interested to hear how the book is recieved by everyone.

Does anyone have the book?

-al

devonpond
05-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Does anyone have the book?

Probably only reviewers so far. I understand it is literally being printed this week.

Discus-Hans
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
I spoke Dick last week and he told me it will come out in Europe first, this or next month it's in Dutch on the market in Holland,

Hans

April
05-11-2007, 01:06 PM
wel get the dutch one hans..and translate the whole book for us. : ) a page a day..on simplydiscus.

Greg Richardson
05-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I think they did their market research real well coming up with these subjects for a book. Even though other books touch on these subjects I think if done right focusing on these subjects could turn out to be a great book.

devonpond
05-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Another screwy translation, this time from German, but this shows 3 sample pages:

Link (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.diskusportal.de/marktplatz/buchtipps/buchvorstellung&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddiskusportal.de/marktplatz/buchtipps/buchvorstellung%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG)

Kenny's Discus
05-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Two weeks ago when Mr. Dick Au was at my place we were going over his new book chapter by chapter.(we lived like 10 mins from each other) I've seen the English version and browsed through it...first impression was that it's an excellent book which covers many topics, lots of discus pictures including some of the latest strains, and very reasonable pricing. I was told that it should be out some time in the middle of June. Here are a couple of pages kindly sent to me by Mr. Dick Au - they looked to be the same from those above but with a few more discus pictures.;)

Polar_Bear
05-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Two weeks ago when Mr. Dick Au was at my place we were going over his new book chapter by chapter.(we lived like 10 mins from each other) I've seen the English version and browsed through it...first impression was that it's an excellent book which covers many topics, lots of discus pictures including some of the latest strains, and very reasonable pricing. I was told that it should be out some time in the middle of June. Here are a couple of pages kindly sent to me by Mr. Dick Au - they looked to be the same from those above but with a few more discus pictures.;)

Kenny,
Will you be carrying this book?

April
05-23-2007, 06:12 PM
yeah kenny....put me down for one. lol. pre-order...on your pre-order if you get them. tell dick au pretty please with sugar on top?

Rod
05-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Looks like a good read....how much?

disvegas
05-24-2007, 01:39 AM
yeah kenny....put me down for one. lol. pre-order...on your pre-order if you get them. tell dick au pretty please with sugar on top?

Kenny,

If you think it's a good book, I don't have a doubt then. So, count me in for another one. Thank you.

Collin,

kaceyo
05-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Definitly sounds like one for the Discus Library.

Greg Richardson
05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I contacted the publisher. Their answer..........

Hi Greg,

The books are on the ocean. I expect them within a month to be available.
The price will be $29.50 retail.
Best regards,
Ad Konings

Kenny's Discus
05-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Larry, April...probably if everything works out. Not trying to side-track here, I'll keep you posted.

Rod, I was told by Dick that it should be priced at about what Greg has just posted.

Collin, thank you as always.

Kenny

tsr181
07-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I just saw the book listed on EBAY for immediate shipping!

Wahter
07-18-2007, 06:58 PM
It's the same book that Liz mentioned here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=58399

I took a peek at the English version when I was at the Aquarama, the size is similar to Dick Au's other book, Back to Nature Guide to Discus. The title might make someone think it's just a book that says "do a lot of feeding along with lots of water changes and your discus will grow up nice and pretty", but the book has more details and also covers several other topics too, like genetics and what criteria judges look for. Pretty good photos. I ordered and received my signed copy from Paul at Discus South this week. Definitely a good book.

Walter

devonpond
07-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I finally got a copy.

16 more available at this time:

Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/Trophy-Discus_W0QQitemZ230153699325QQihZ013QQcategoryZ378 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Exceptional book.

Very informative areas that caught my eye on discus genetics, developing a new strain, and artificial raising of fry.

I can highly recommend this EBay seller. Book was nicely secured with bubble wrap. Got mine within 48 hrs via Priority mail.

kaceyo
07-21-2007, 10:34 AM
I picked up a copy thru Paul at DiscusSouth. The book looks to be among the best from what I could tell at a quick look thru of the subjects but I havn't had time to sit down and spend some time with it yet.
It was mailed out the day after they recieved payment and it was at my door 7 days after I sent the money. Not bad considering it came from England. I've had it take longer than that to get things from here in the US. And it's a signed copy.
Thanks Paul,

Kacey

goldengatediscus
07-22-2007, 01:12 AM
No need to order from England. It's available right here in the US. Shipping is cheaper and faster. It's listed on EBAY, and buyers have already received their copies!

April
07-22-2007, 03:15 AM
yep..i ordered a copy off of ebay. easy. click on it buy it now..pay with paypal and voila sent.

LizStreithorst
07-22-2007, 08:05 AM
I picked up a copy thru Paul at DiscusSouth. The book looks to be among the best from what I could tell at a quick look thru of the subjects but I havn't had time to sit down and spend some time with it yet.
It was mailed out the day after they recieved payment and it was at my door 7 days after I sent the money. Not bad considering it came from England. I've had it take longer than that to get things from here in the US. And it's a signed copy.
Thanks Paul,

Kacey

I got mine from Paul several weeks ago. It's my favorite Discus book to date. I recomend it.

kaceyo
07-22-2007, 11:51 AM
One reason I ordered it from Paul was that I bought a small packet of Flubenol 15 to try and he shipped it along with the book. I've wanted to try it for some time now and this gave me a chance to pinch a couple of penneis and save on shipping it by it's self.
Now someone is gonna tell me F-15 is avail from the states too? LOL!

Kacey

LizStreithorst
07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Same here, Kacey. I checked my fish poop under the scope before and after treatment. Before treatment I had capillaria. After treatment I didn't. It's good stuff and from what I was able to tell, not the least bit stressful to the fish.

Discus-Hans
07-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Be carefull with Flubenol, there are some stories know about people who got head standers after ussing it,

Hans

April
07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
ive heard the same for flubenol. headstanding.

kaceyo
07-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Me too. But I've heard that about panacure also. My understanding is that the F-15 posses much less of a problem than the old 5% did where headstanding is concerned. Something to do with the way the old stuff was dissolved maybe? Not sure there.
Maybe one of our UK folks in the know could help with this subject.

Kacey

LizStreithorst
07-23-2007, 06:35 AM
I had head standing with panacur. Of course I didn't realize at the time that I was dealing with the onset of Cryptobia, not worms...

Would it be a good idea to use it in conjunction with a low dose of Magnesium Sulfate as is recomended when treating with metronidazole? I can imagine that the sudden die off of a large population of parasites could cause a blockage leading to headstanding.

pcsb23
07-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Me too. But I've heard that about panacure also. My understanding is that the F-15 posses much less of a problem than the old 5% did where headstanding is concerned. Something to do with the way the old stuff was dissolved maybe? Not sure there.
Maybe one of our UK folks in the know could help with this subject.

KaceyMy understanding is that with the 5% Flubendazole you dissolved it in some form of solvent, alcohol or similar. With Flubenol15 it does not need to be dissolved in anything other than water. It would seem that the solvent may be the issue with the reported side effects. fwiw I have used Flubenol15 for some time and to date have had no adverse reactions.

disvegas
02-03-2008, 05:43 AM
Hi Kenny,

I lost touch on this. Do you know Mr. Au's book is on the US market yet? I still want to have one. Thx.

Collin,

seanyuki
02-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Kenny,

I lost touch on this. Do you know Mr. Au's book is on the US market yet? I still want to have one. Thx.

Collin,

Hi Colin,

They are selling at Amazon.com Trophy Discus at US $29.50

Trophy Discus: The art of selecting, grooming, and showing discus.

Trophy Discus: The art of selecting, grooming, and showing discus. by Dick Au, Sun See Seng, Francesco Denitto, and Ad Konings (Hardcover - Jun 1, 2007)

Cheers
Francis

disvegas
02-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Hi Francis,

I just ordered a copy tonight. Thanks!

Collin,