PDA

View Full Version : Wild Blue X red turq spawn

brewmaster15
05-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi all,
I haven't posted any pics in a while and thought I'd share some with you on one of my "projects" , hopefully I don't jinx myself:D

I had paired a Wild Blue with a strong red base ( Lago grande area) X a domestic red turg... I have had the wild fish for 2 plus years now, the domestic is about 1 year old.

I was thrilled when they spawned....but a few days latter I was disheartened... They had 1 wiggler.:( so I removed it and the dead eggs and they spawned a few more times... 15 fry one time...those didn't make it...and then about 40 fry..these made it and are several weeks old.... I removed them after only a few days though and raised them myself ...

anyhow...heres some pics..I'll try and update often...This cross is very promising and something I wanted to do a while with this wild.
-al

brewmaster15
05-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Here they are as of yesterday..

brewmaster15
05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
This pair currently has another spawn on their backs as well that went free swimming yesterday...Looks like about 60 Fry there.:) so needless to say I am thrilled!

-al

AmberC
05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Congrats Al! That wild is beautiful! I just love the red to it! I think those are my favorite kind for wilds :D

Amber

Squiggy
05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Great pairing.....You should get some beautiful fish from those spawns.

Keep me in mind when you're ready to let go of a few...;)

Joe

novice breeder
05-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Excellent Pair!!!!! Great job of raising the babies. I predict a large % of red. LOL!!! Can you explain your process of raising the babies artificially? A step by step procedure/ methods and materials aided with photos would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Good luck in your experiment and keep us posted on development.

brewmaster15
05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks Amber , Joe and Novice :)

Novice, these were raised by the parents for a few days...so I really didn't artificially raise them...by the time they were pulled they were already eating newly hatched Baby brine shrimp...

I have done artificially rearing before and have posted threads on it in the forum..I'll see if I can dig up the link.....but if you really want info on it...definetly talk to cliff here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?u=5889

he's perfected it.:)

-al

Tropical Haven
05-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Great job AL, keep up the great work and keep us posted with pics.

Jason
05-14-2007, 01:22 PM
nice cross Al! can't wait to see how they turn out.

brewmaster15
05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks Scott !

and Thanks Jason! By the way...Nice to see you online bro...missed you!:)

-al

bikhu
05-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Al,
Congratulations! They look great. Hope you can save a few of those babies for me! I don't know if you remember but it was a posting of some of your early wild x domestics that really attracted me to Discus. Although I was interested and curious about Discus it was seeing yours that hooked me. I can't wait to see them in person.
Please keep us updated.
peter

tacks
05-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Al very nice work here, if you can say were did you acquire the wild from? Again good luck and how are those eggs from those chickens going? Ed

brewmaster15
05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi Ed,
That wild was sold to me by Brewmaster15;):)back when he was selling wilds.

The chickens are doing well... have a group of 25 chicks being sent out to me end of this month...need to rotate egg layers every 2 years .:)

-al

Darren's Discus
05-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Al
nice looking parents,well done just watch how much beer you are giving the young they have big beer bellies lol.keep the pics coming !

cheers

Green Country Discus
05-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Al, looking great my friend. Keep us in mind when you get them up to size. Those are some fat/full fry- happy, happy, happy!!. You will get some beauties out of that cross. Lock your doors, Angela wants to steel that wild LOL.

Ed13
05-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, Lago Grande means Big Lake and for the look of it there is a "big lake" of people in line for some of these. They look awesome!!

That wild was sold to me by Brewmaster15;):)back when he was selling wilds.
Yeah, I hear nothing but good things of that guy! ;) ;) :D Think he'll ever get back to selling wilds?:inquisitive:

The chickens are doing well... have a group of 25 chicks being sent out to me end of this month...need to rotate egg layers every 2 years .:)

-al

Old chickens make for a great soup/stock!!
We call it in Puerto Rico, "caldo de gallina vieja" or "old chicken soup", I think it has to do with the bones that make it really savory.
So, when should I board the plane to CT? LOL:D ROAD TRIP!!!:D

Kenny's Discus
05-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Congrats Al and great work as usual! I also like that Wild Blue a lot and I'm sure the babies will turn out to be beauties.;)

Keep up your continuous, nice work of these wild x domestic crosses Al, one day you just might create a new hot strain called "The Brewmaster".;)

Kenny

LizStreithorst
05-15-2007, 08:20 AM
What kind of chicks, Brew? I have 25 Brahmas coming at the end of the month :)

Kindredspirit
05-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Keep up your continuous, nice work of these wild x domestic crosses Al, one day you just might create a new hot strain called "The Brewmaster".;)

Kenny

"The BrewMaster Red "! Good one Kenny! That discus is beautiful, Al!

t_j
05-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Al, that is one awesome wild you have there my friend vary nice indeed!!!!:) I hope all go's well with the little guys and you get some great fish with this pair. All the best of luck to you.

Ardan
05-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Al, They look great! That is an absolutely awesome pair of discus. I bet the fry will be excellent.:) :) They look like they are doing very well. Keep us updated on their progress. thanks for sharing the pics:)

Ardan

tpl*co
05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
"The BrewMaster Red "! Good one Kenny! That discus is beautiful, Al!

LOL, that name sounds like it should be served up as a 6 pack! ;)

Beautiful fish Al, can't wait to see what they'll grow up as. :)

Tina

Condor
05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Al, Nicely done. That is one cool wild.

Adrian

alxjss
05-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow Al, I can't believe how nice all of them are! The parents, and the babies. Wow, BEAUTIFUL. Can see how proud u r!!! The fry look like little balloons w/eyes lol..

bavaria36
05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Al,

that wild is stunning. I hope that I can eventually have the same scene going on in one of my tanks with my wilds! In the meantime I'll just enjoy the great pics.

Aaron

brewmaster15
05-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks everyone,
These little guys are doing great. Nice uniform growth and healthy appetites...I'm real pleased so far.... I'll post updates as they grow...try and take a few pics this weekend.

thanks for the comments,
al

Rod
05-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Way to go Al, very nice.

Rod:)