PDA

View Full Version : Mag-Float, is good for algae?

thang45
05-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking about getting the Mag-Float (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4083&Ntt=mag&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1). Is a large Mag-Float good enough for a 90g tank?

Is this ggod for algae? or should I look for something else?

svdfinally
05-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I use the large on my 125 gal tank. It takes care of most of the algae but not all of it. I like it though.:)

dishpanhands
05-17-2007, 07:08 AM
The mag float is slow to use, and after it scrapes the algae off the glass the stuff is then in the water. That won't get it out of the tank. I have found that if I use a strong white paper towel I can wipe the tank in just a few minutes, and most of the algae will stick to the paper towel and you can take it out of the tank. If you are doing only one tank and have a bunch of time they are not bad..

VisionQuest28
05-17-2007, 08:38 AM
I find mag floats to be pretty good as long as you follow a couple of rules. First you always need to get one that is rated for more than your aquarium, if the magnets are constantly popping loose its a major pain in the a$$! Also be careful not to get any sand or anything stuck between the magnets as its pretty easy to scratch the glass that way. And finally, just dont let the algae build up too much and you can make real quick work of it. If you gave the tank a once over every 4-5 days (or as needed, every tank is different) i would think you could do your whole tank in about a minute. Wait too long and it will take much longer and it wont be able to get ALL the algae but it will still be able to get most of it.

shannon

thang45
05-17-2007, 09:05 AM
The mag float is slow to use, and after it scrapes the algae off the glass the stuff is then in the water. That won't get it out of the tank. I have found that if I use a strong white paper towel I can wipe the tank in just a few minutes, and most of the algae will stick to the paper towel and you can take it out of the tank. If you are doing only one tank and have a bunch of time they are not bad..

Currently I use the cleaning wand to clean the 3 side of the tank weekly. I find labor intensive. It took me about 15 min to clean each time. If cleaning with the mag takes about 1-2 minutes to clean then I’m a happy guy.

Thank guys

Sounded like you guys like it. I will order a large for my tank.