PDA

View Full Version : Dad seems mad!

White Worm
05-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Last night he was kinda swimming sideways (also pretty dark) like the fry were irritating him but I let it go because it was late. This morning, same thing! But now, he was chasing them like he wanted to eat them! On short notice, I put a seperator in there to give dad a break. Do you think it is just time to get dad out? Any experience with this? 40-50 fry a little over 2 weeks old.

Tropical Haven
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Since they are 2 weeks of age I would put the babies in their own tank and feed them brine shrimp because they are old enough to do so. The Dad seems like he is being pestered so moving the babies should make him feel a lot more at ease.

AmberC
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm definitely no expert, but I would probably take dad out. Seems like its just time to me. And definitely easier to take out dad than all those fry!

Amber

Greg Richardson
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Take Dad out. Leave fry in. IME once irritated a break doesn't stop it to go back to same spawn. You are risking fry being eaten leaving him in there.

White Worm
05-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks, I figured it was time. I didnt realize it but they are actually almost 3 weeks old (this sunday, they will be 21 days old). Yeah, I didnt plan on putting dad back together but I had to do a spur of the moment seperation because I was out the door to work this morning. The mom seems fine still with no signs of irritation. Should she stay a little while longer? The fry still seem to be dependant on the parent for food (50/50.... parent/what I give them). They still stay close to mom too for safety and security too. When should they be able to be totally on their own? I have heard anywhere from 2-5 weeks.

Tropical Haven
05-17-2007, 02:29 PM
My personal opinion is to seperate both parents from the fry. They are definitely old enough to be raised by you now. I am sure both parents can use a break so why take the chance on weakening the female.

Camden
05-17-2007, 04:12 PM
He might be ready to breed again and is getting a bit agressive because of it.

Polar_Bear
05-17-2007, 04:43 PM
My personal opinion is to seperate both parents from the fry. They are definitely old enough to be raised by you now. I am sure both parents can use a break so why take the chance on weakening the female.

I agree with this. I only differ in that "Dad" most likely isn't as irratated with the fry as he is wanting to spawn again. Ours have already spawned twice snce they had their first batch. Inour case it was the female that wanted to spawn again.

White Worm
05-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Now that I think about it, you are right. Since I took out their cone, they have been slightly doing the courting but against the glass. I'll bet they are ready again. They have been nudging each other and pecking the walls. I think dad is just in the mood. I shall move the parents into their own condo and leave the babies in the 29g. I have an empty 75g that I will eventually move all the kids into as they grow.

Camden
05-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Now that I think about it, you are right. Since I took out their cone, they have been slightly doing the courting but against the glass. I'll bet they are ready again. They have been nudging each other and pecking the walls. I think dad is just in the mood. I shall move the parents into their own condo and leave the babies in the 29g. I have an empty 75g that I will eventually move all the kids into as they grow.

Make to sure to play some Barry White for them too.

White Worm
05-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Does American Idol count? They like watching TV.

Green Country Discus
05-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Mike, you have received some good advise. It is always better to move the parents than the fry. Adults are tough and young fry are not. Hook up some Al Green ( I'm so glad to be alone) for the pair and they will get er done again, with another batch ;) . Good luck with the fry!!