PDA

View Full Version : Help on planted tank decision

fleehouse2
05-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle ;)

I currently run a successful planted community tank (see end of post for pic) and was considering switching it to a planted Discus tank but I don't think it is really possible.

Tank Specs:

Volume: 77 US Gallon
Filtration: AquaOne CF1200 External Filter (rated for tanks up to 105 US Gallon)
Lighting: 2 x AquaOne 30W T8, 2 x Arcadia 38W T8
Flora: Vallis, Crypt Wendttii, Crypt Pontederifolia, Amazon Sword, Dwarf Sag
Fauna: 2 x Keyhole Cichlid, 6 x Adolfi Cory, 5 x Panda Cory, 5 x Trilineatus Cory, 1 x Oto, 9 x Black Phantom Tetra, 6 x Cardinal Tetra, 9 x Glowlight Tetra, 11 x Neon Tetra
Other Info: 4 x Nutrafin CO2 Units, 300W AquaOne Glass Heater, Tropica Plant Substrate, Seachem Excel, Seachem Excel Flourish

I planned to remove most of the existing fish, just leaving the cories that can cope with the higher temps along with the cardinal tetra and adding 5-6 adult Discus (not decided on types yet as I don't think I can actually do it, so trying not to get too excited about it).

The two problems I see stopping me from going ahead are:

1. Due to the heavily planted nature of my tank I cannot vaccum the gravel
2. Due to fact I am water metered I cannot really commit to anything more than 40% weekly water changes which I don't think are anywhere near enough. Maybe I could do 40% changes twice a week at most.

What are you thoughts regarding the two problems listed above?

Tank shot:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3482/newtankshotpd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

GC_PAUL
05-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Fleehouse2
1--You could thin out the plants thus making swim room for your discus,as well as making gravel cleaning easier
2---4 to 6 adults with light feedings and 2 changes a week should work, just keep a eye on water quality

Polar_Bear
05-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Start with adults, up to 8 if you do water changes on a very regular basis (every other day). You will need to remove the C. pontederfolia since it wil definately not take the heat. All of your other plants will be fine.

ryeguy
05-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Your first problem is actually not a problem...It should read

Due to the heavily planted nature of my tank I don't have to vaccum the gravel

I've had my heavily planted tank up for a year and never vacuumed the gravel....Water parameters are perfect....Plants take care of it....

Your plants look great so you obviously know how to grow them well..I wouldn't worry about the gravel at all. Although I would look at thinning out the plants a bit in the center. The dwarf sags will go crazy under the right conditions...