PDA

View Full Version : Skittish Fish/Tank Set Up

jman
05-18-2007, 09:46 PM
I have a couple of set ups where there is a high and low tank on one stand. Always seems the bottom tank the fish are skittish. Anyone else notice this ? Or am I thinking to much into it?

poconogal
05-18-2007, 10:32 PM
No, you're not reading too much into it. Discus don't like being down low, it makes them nervous.

greyhoundfan
05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
No, you're not reading too much into it. Discus don't like being down low, it makes them nervous.

:( How low can you go... how low can you go....

Seriously.. What do you think or anyone think the minimal height off the ground should be? I am planning on doing the samething.

dandestroy
05-18-2007, 10:34 PM
nope your not to much into it.

I have a tank at floor level, and regardless of which discus I put in it or for how long they are in it, they are always scared a bit.

On a fish point of view, it could be a good reflex in order not to get caught by big birds flying around...

poconogal
05-18-2007, 10:38 PM
:( How low can you go... how low can you go....

Seriously.. What do you think or anyone think the minimal height off the ground should be? I am planning on doing the samething.

Hi Reid. I've always read that they should be eye level or higher. They were okay 28" up (on my cabinet) and they're okay 34" up (on my new cabinet). I don't know about going lower than the 28" though.

greyhoundfan
05-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks Connie.. I didn't really consider how high or low the bottome tank should be. At least now I have a idea and I'll be more cautious on putting them too low.

Jman, how low is your bottom tank off the ground? I'm glad you brought this up... sorry on the skittish discus.

April
05-19-2007, 01:26 AM
alot of breeders put big groups of growouts in the bottom tanks..safety in numbers. breeders like being up high..quieter..not as much rucous.
at my house..my bottom tanks are about..20 inches off the ground. they do ok..but i dont use them unless i need to. my dalmation goes by..wags her tail..and hits the glass. but..they know her..and dont really flinch.
id prefer to have all my fish at eyelevel.
and dont have company..with black clothes on. lol. they dont like that either.

poconogal
05-19-2007, 06:25 AM
alot of breeders put big groups of growouts in the bottom tanks..safety in numbers. breeders like being up high..quieter..not as much rucous.
at my house..my bottom tanks are about..20 inches off the ground. they do ok..but i dont use them unless i need to. my dalmation goes by..wags her tail..and hits the glass. but..they know her..and dont really flinch.
id prefer to have all my fish at eyelevel.
and dont have company..with black clothes on. lol. they dont like that either.

Oh yeah, black or dark clothes, watch out for flying Discus then!

jack396
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Back in the 70's I had a 55 on a wrought iron stand with a 29 on the bottom. The 55 had discus and the 29 had a small number of angels. I never did get the discus to breed, but in the 29 only 6" off of the floor, I had angels tending eggs and doing quite well. I lost all of these fish in a landmark century storm in '78, but they had been doing remarkably well when that event occured. I have not tried it with discus, but with angels it was no problem for them to be close to the floor.

jman
05-19-2007, 07:42 PM
"Jman, how low is your bottom tank off the ground? I'm glad you brought this up... sorry on the skittish discus."

I have the standard iron stand with the bottom 55 about three inches off the ground. Then two 29's with the bottom 6 inches off the ground.

Based on the above I might get another stand for the 55.

Darren's Discus
05-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Jman,
My bottom tanks are 8 inches off the ground they are ok for grow outs but nothing else i have always found were there is a big group of juvies in there they are ok but as the numbers are decreased and they get larger they become more scared i think anything above 2ft of the ground is good for discus the higher the better.

cheers

dandestroy
05-19-2007, 09:25 PM
not that I mean to hijack this tread, but nice setup you got there Darren!

what kind of stand is that? (I'm currently shopping for something like that, so any tips?) Also, how high is the top of the top tank on your system?

jman
09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Wondering if skittish fish from a tank on the ground can be rehabilitated?

Someone is offering me just the stand for my 75 gallon that will then be @ 32 inches off the ground.

I'll take the free equipment but just wondering if these guys are permanently dysfunctional?

Thanks,

John

dwilder
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
they should be fine.when i had mine on the ground they were frightened by everything but as soon as they got off the ground they were fine