PDA

View Full Version : DI,RO or PM?

gg5190
05-19-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm setting up a 75 gallon tank and plan to raise 6 (2-3inch) discus. I don't know what water parameters thell be used to when I buy them, but I don't want to shock them. What i want to do is set them up with the same water prams and over the summer slowly bring them up to my tap. I have a DI unit, and i was thinking 25% DI to 75% tap.

I have been gifted with liquid concrete from my tap.

GH: 31 dGH
KH: 8 dGH
pH: 7.8-8 pH

The KH is not bad but the GH is kinda up there, I think this is the lowest i've seen it.

You think this is a good idea, i'm trying to keep it simple. Should i just scrap this idea and go with an RO/DI unit? There not that expensive, but they waist a lot of water and i don't know if i can afford that.

Should i go with PeatMoss? I wanted to add it anyway because if the organic acids, from what i hear discus act and look better when they have PM.

Xirxes
05-19-2007, 11:10 PM
i love RO/DI myself. The units from ebay (DVOneb i bevlieve) have served me well for a number of years, putting out a TDS of 4-30ppm, which can be buffered to whatever it is you wish to keep your discus at.

I personally don't trust any tap water at all, especially for discus. If you just make sure to purchase from a vendor/breeder that keeps them in soft water, and keep them in soft water, you have nothing to lose.

If you are concerned with the waste water, get a large trash can and fill it once every 2 months. keep a bubbler and small powerhead in it to keep it aerated, and keep an inverted lid on it (an condensation will fall back in). Use this water for your water changes in the future. You can always hook up a heater the day before and have preheated, buffered and even trace dosed water changes at your disposal!

When you do this fill up every 1.5-2 months, use the waste water to water your yard or roses or whatever. That way nothing ever goes to waste!

Peat is awesome for discus, and the more the merrier. Ive heard that some very respectable discus breeders rear thir discus in water that one can barely see through. The tanins and softness of the water, combined with lowered PH allow for a very natural environment for them.

basically, i am a fan of super clean, super soft water for discus with a pH of 6.5-7.0 at a temp of 84-86 F. You should easily be able to find someone who can offer the discus you want with these parameters that you can also mimic in your home.

tdr1919
05-20-2007, 12:49 AM
I live out on Long Island and have only used tap water, the PH is about 6.8 - 7.0, and the water is relatively soft GH about 50ppm. I have been very successful over the last 6 yrs in not playing with my water, and part of it is because i do not do massive water changes, I remove only about 10 - 15% every other day. I also approximate the water temp by using warm tap water (my water heater is glass lined). I do not play with the PH, because trying to adjust PH (make it lower) can cause it to bounce and I feel this is extremely stressful for the fish. My Nitrates are always consistant at about 5 ppm, right from the tap, and as long as my nitrites & ammonia are 0, i'm OK with it.
I guess what I am driving at is the R/O can only make it better, but I would recommend that you keep it consistant, if 25% seems to keep your fish happy then be consistant with it.

Tom

Don Trinko
05-25-2007, 11:27 AM
I have water similar to yours.( dh=7 kh=17 ph=7.6) I mix ro and tap 50/50. I have heated containers for each and I age the tap water. I bought a cheap pump and after I remove the water I put a post-it note on the tank and mark the desired water level and also mark 1/2 the disired level. I then use the pump to pump tap water to the 1st mark and then pump ro to the full mark.
The pump pumps slow but this is fine because it doesn't change the water parameters(if they are different) to fast. Don T.

jack396
05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Don,

how large are your heated containers and what are they? Are they barrels made for water storage?

richard p.
05-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I see you are from NJ. I suggest you get a water quality report from your township. I did and my water is ladden with nitrate and amonia (among other things). Amonia is easy to control by nitrate is not. I am in Middlesex county which has alot of farmland.

gg5190
05-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I see you are from NJ. I suggest you get a water quality report from your township. I did and my water is ladden with nitrate and amonia (among other things). Amonia is easy to control by nitrate is not. I am in Middlesex county which has alot of farmland.

Yeah, tell me about it. What do I ask them for? Can I get it on the internet?

Don Trinko
05-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I have 2 11g garbage cans. I got them from Wallmart. I don't have room for BIG water containers. Each has a 25 watt submersable heater in the bottom. I keep them at abought 82 degrees. ( I may need bigger heaters in the winter) I have a pump and hose that I move from one to the other for adding water to the tank. It takes abought 10 to 15 minutes to refill a tank with 4 galons of water. ( 1/2 from each tank) don T.

richard p.
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM
George - call your township and have them connect you with the department that oversees water quality. My township mails out a report once a year. The report has alot of good info. It actually shows more than you would ever want to know.