PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean a tank for new arrivals?

tpl*co
05-19-2007, 11:11 PM
What is the best way to clean out a tank that is in use to prepare it for new arrivals? I'm out of PP so can't use that. (unless I can find it somewhere local). Going to move everything out of that tank into another tank so this can be converted to quarantine :).

Tina

Elite Aquaria
05-20-2007, 12:12 AM
I always use bleach...Never had a problem in the past.

Dan

pcsb23
05-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Bleach!

Kindredspirit
05-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Ya think?:)

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I have read that using a heavy salt solution (3%++) is just as effective as bleach if left for a day or two. Plus no worries about leftover bleach residue in the tank after being rinsed out.

-Ryan

Ed13
05-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Bleach,
I know way more about bleach than I should, and I love it!

I have read that using a heavy salt solution (3%++) is just as effective as bleach if left for a day or two. Plus no worries about leftover bleach residue in the tank after being rinsed out.

-Ryan
Nope, at least it will not kill the real nasties like mycobacterium(TB), and other viruses, fungi, bacteria. Besides after the bleach is done working it basically turns to salt, it is called sodium hypoclorite after all.
Use 1 ¾ cup solution in one gallon of water/5 minute contact time, to kill Mycobacterium bovis (Tuberculosis).
You can even disinfect potable water with this stuff, of course only when needed and boiling is not enough.
If residue worries you wipe it with your hand, you feel it slippery or too smooth there is still bleach, smell it and if you can smell even a bit of bleach there is still present. As little as 3.5ppm of bleach can be detectable by smell alone

just let dry and rinse well before use and you won't have problems
Rubing alcohol 70% or more can also be used

tpl*co
05-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Scramble the jets! gotta really get going now. The fish that were going to arrive tomorrow are arriving today. Stayed up till midnight last night cleaning and bleaching the tank and let it air dry outside. Didn't feel too well at work this afternoon, so came home early and was finishing up the tank (filling it with prime water, drain, then good water). Good thing too since I'm meeting up tonight with Lewis to get the fish! :D

Really scrambling now to get the tank ready!

Tina

Elite Aquaria
05-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Tina,

I hope you enjoy your new 3R2...I made a big sacrifice for ya...you owe me one.;) ;) ;)

Dan

Lizard King
05-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Tina
What cleaner did you go with? Or was it just the bleach and air?

Greg

tpl*co
05-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Tina,

I hope you enjoy your new 3R2...I made a big sacrifice for ya...you owe me one.;) ;) ;)

Dan

You didn't get any this time around Dan? Oh no! OK, I owe you one! ;) .

Just got them acclimated a little while ago, sponge filters just don't seem to go together right when you're tired. ;). Also, it took me a little while to figure out that the ones Lewis brought doesn't use airstones ;). Had the stones all ready and then was scratching my head on how to get them in there. I want to thank Kenny and Lewis for these little guys!

Tina

tpl*co
05-23-2007, 01:59 AM
Tina
What cleaner did you go with? Or was it just the bleach and air?

Greg

Yep, first I soaked it overnight in water and bleach, emptied it (the worms in the garden didn't appreciate that), then air/sun dried it, then filled it back up and added lots of Prime, let it sit, then emptied it, then filled it back up with the right amount of conditioner.

Had to do a mad scramble trying to find Bio Spira though, ended up the fish store we were going to meet at had one last container of it!

Tina

Elite Aquaria
05-23-2007, 07:31 AM
You didn't get any this time around Dan? Oh no! OK, I owe you one! ;) .
Tina

I got 6 3R2 and 4 Red Covers...I gave up 2 so you could have 5:p I guess that is what friends are for...sharing:D

Dan

tpl*co
05-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I got 6 3R2 and 4 Red Covers...I gave up 2 so you could have 5:p I guess that is what friends are for...sharing:D

Dan

Thanks Dan! :D

Tina

tpl*co
05-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Gave them their first FBW this morning :D

Looks like I may have to get on the painted tank bandwagon too (or find more shelf paper to cover the sides and back). They are looking out the window.

Tina

poconogal
05-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Tina, are we going to see pics soon, I hope?????

tpl*co
05-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Yep, just let them acclimate a little more ;)

Tina

Lizard King
05-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Looking forward to the pics Tina!!!

Greg

Kenny's Discus
05-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Yeah Tina, Dan and I was talking that morning and he said, "Kenny, you can go ahead and give 5 to Tina and I'll have mine reduced". What a great person he is...always helping out and sharing with others. Thank you so much Dan. How's yours doing?

Kenny

Elite Aquaria
05-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Kenny,

My fish are doing great...I see a lot of potential in these fish. I can hardly wait to see how they begin to color up with Mario Super Seafood mixture...;).

I hope to get an SLR sometime in July/August so I can take some pictures of my Wayne Collection.

Tina, Any new pics now that the fish have settled down a bit.

Dan