PDA

View Full Version : Sodium Hypochlorite - Bleach

ponderingky
05-21-2007, 12:48 AM
My local water company told me that they use Sodium Hypochlorite (basically common bleach) to treat our water. Do not use chlorine gas or chloramines. This evening I set up my water aging barrel (heater and air stone) - will this remove the SH from my water or do I need to treat it before adding to my tank? Thanks,

Ed13
05-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Sodium hypoclorite is bleach, but not neccesarily househould bleach. See, household bleach are merely a stable solution of chlorine, salts and water. The chlorine in this mix sometimes is between 3% -6%, but will vary as it detereorates rapidly

The Sodium hypochlorite your water co uses is either in solid form that releases chorine when dissolved in water or made on site in the liquid form using salt and high voltage at a higher solution.

Because they are using liquids instead of the gas I think you would need to add a sodium thiosulfate agent or dechlorification agent. Then again the byproduct is common salt.....:confused: and I am merely going on logic as the liquid form is more stable it will take longer to leave

If I find anything I'll post it here

HTH

phidelt85
05-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Heavy aeration should dissipate the bleach. Industrial grade bleach unlike the household 3-6% runs at about 12-14%. It is more concentrated and in the industry I'm in we use the liquid and don't make it onsite. Get yourself a chlorine test kit from Walmarts pool section or from a pool supply store. Setup two containers (as a test): #1. water with circulation, #2 water with heavy aeration. Let this run fro 24hrs and then test the chlorine residual in both containers. That should answer your question for you. Let us know your results and good luck

ponderingky
05-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the responses - I did get a pool test kit - after about 12 hours of aeration the chlorine level is almost undectable. Last night when I checked it, it did show up yellow (not sure of the concentration - cheap kit) which meant that chlorine was present. I will check again tonight to see if there is any trace. Question - if there is not any chlorine present in the water barrel, do I need to treat the water with anything before doing a water change? Temp is the same in tank and barrel.

Also - they do make their SH onsite - I don't know if that matters.

Thanks,

Graham
05-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Sodium thiosulfate is dirt cheap why not just used it and not worry about whether there's Cl left or not.

G

ponderingky
05-21-2007, 11:44 PM
I checked the water this evening - 0% chlorine showed up. It did take approximately 24 hours to remove the SH w/aeration, but it did work. I did an approx. 50% WC today and my fish did not seem to notice. I was doing WC's w/a python straight from the tap w/chlorine remover - seemed to bother the fish. Now all is well. Thanks for the input. Graham - I do have chlorine remover - I was just curious if aeration could remove SH from my water - I still add some just to be safe. I was also glad to find out that the water company does not use chloramine - no need to buy this type of product and plain chlorine remover is dirt cheap.

Elite Aquaria
05-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Andy,

Remember water companies can change treatment from day to day...I live in South Florida and during the past few months my water has changed a lot...Better to be safe than sorry...

Dan

ponderingky
05-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Good advice - I live in a small community and from the info I got from the water plant employee - they generate the SH in house because it is cheap and they need to keep costs down. Should I always test for chlorine in my aging barrel? Or do you mean they might add chloramine and not tell us?

Thanks,