PDA

View Full Version : 3R2 babies and painted tank

tpl*co
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
OK, they're still a little skittish and swim everywhere together but here they are after a little under 24 hours in the tank. I also put on a couple of coats of paint so they can't see out in the yard ;). Water is still a little cloudy since those are new sponge filters (with bio spira)

Tina

fishmama
05-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Congrats!!! I can't wait to see these guys mature...I think they are going to be fabulous!

Lizard King
05-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Very nice Tina. Are they eating yet?

tpl*co
05-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Picking at things, started getting really comfortable tonight. We are both on a learning curve on what they like and don't like. (painting the tank and turning off a power head helped :)). Trying to give them "clean" foods since these are new unseasoned sponges with new bacteria colonies. I'm really biting my lip and torn on this one, I so want to put in a seasoned sponge from another tank, but worried about quarantine issues. Watching the water parameters.

Tina

Elite Aquaria
05-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Tina,

Congrats....Very nice looking fish. My 3R2 and Red Covers started eating right away...But I did have a seasoned sponge from one of my Wayne Sunrise Eruption Tanks.

Dan

greyhoundfan
05-24-2007, 12:32 AM
Congrats Tina..Under your care they'll be fine. I here Kenny makes house calls so no worries.. JK Kenny...:D

Darren's Discus
05-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Tina,
nice looking fish look forward to the updates in the coming months to see there progress !

cheers

Rod
05-24-2007, 04:06 AM
wow, great looking young ones. Can,t wait to see them grown out.

Rod:)

tpl*co
05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
I see a little ammonia in the tank and it's a little cloudy, I'm going to move a seasoned sponge from my baby BN pleco tank.

I know it's a risk, but I'm not risking these little guys to an uncycled tank.

Tina

Tropical Haven
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Really nice fish, I would move over a seasoned sponge too until your new one gets primed.

LizStreithorst
05-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Tina, are you able to change tons of water. When I get new fish in I always start with sterile filters and never use biospira or other products. What I do is change tons of water, at first 2xs daily then after a week or so just once daily. The fish never show signs of stress.

tpl*co
05-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Tina, are you able to change tons of water. When I get new fish in I always start with sterile filters and never use biospira or other products. What I do is change tons of water, at first 2xs daily then after a week or so just once daily. The fish never show signs of stress.

Been doing that too, 2X water changes a day and still saw a faint green on the ammonia stick and cloudy water. Just finishing up with my second one this morning (did one last night). Haven't even started my full feeding program on these guys yet.

Tina

tpl*co
05-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Glad I went with plan B of an existing sponge, tank water is clear again, the dip stick doesn't even have a tinge to it :) (had a faint color before, was making me really nervous). As suggested if I do this option, I'm treating as a precaution with Furan 2 (after another water change, LOL). Now I have 3 sponges in a 29 gallon tank :).

Furan 2 doesn't impact the filtration right? It says it doesn't on the bottle, but just want to double check.

Tina

Kenny's Discus
05-26-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the pics of the 3R2s Tina, enjoy them and now grow all of them out to be like the ones that I've seen you raised before.;) Updated pics in a couple weeks would also be nice.:)

Thanks,
Kenny

tpl*co
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
OK, some updated pictures. These guys were still pretty timid in the quarantine tank as of a week or two ago so I made the decision to move them in with my other discus (no flames please). Well that was a good move since they instantly relaxed and started eating more and interacting more than hiding. They've grown quite a bit since the last picture too. The fish with them are bigger adults, but I like to think of it as a discus mentoring system and I make sure that everybody has enough to eat. The attitude is like night and day. I think it was because of the number of the discus in the tank. Excuse the water spots. Hopefully I'll be breaking in a new camara soon and will take better pictures ;)

Tina

greyhoundfan
07-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi Tina!!

your R2D2s are coming along great.:D

I do believe they fell safety in numbers. I had some skittish golden leopards, when I introduced thim to the community tank (after QTa), they all relaxed and perked up.

Elite Aquaria
07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Looking good Tina...

Dan

tpl*co
07-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Tina!!

your R2D2s are coming along great.:D

I do believe they fell safety in numbers. I had some skittish golden leopards, when I introduced thim to the community tank (after QTa), they all relaxed and perked up.

That's what happened to me. They were so shy in quarantine, waiting until I left to come out and eat and hiding behind the sponge filters. It was time they came out of quarantine and I was worried about putting them in with fish so much bigger than them but took the chance since the adults in this tank are pretty calm. It worked out well and the 3R2's are actually schooling with the adults and learning from them :). Definitely eating now even if I'm watching too. Guess it took a change of neighborhood and neighbors to make them relax ;). (in fact I have to keep the epsom salts handy for them eating too much ;)). In fact looking at them now, I don't think it'll be long that they'll be close to the same size as a few of the adults in that tank ;)

Tina

Kindredspirit
07-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Okay, Tina...these are going to turn out like Mario's? Deep Red?

tpl*co
07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Okay, Tina...these are going to turn out like Mario's? Deep Red?

That's what I hope ;). They're the same type of fish.

Tina

Darren's Discus
07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Tina,
your doing a great job with them they look awesome please keep us updated on their progress !

cheers

Elcid
07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi Tina:

Thanks for the update! Ur RGDXs look great :)....

take care,
Sandeep