PDA

View Full Version : DO We Need Air Stones In Our Tanks?

Kindredspirit
05-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Okay..It has come to my attention that some do not have air stones in their tank? I was told by a friend that the flow from the filters are more than enough for oxygen?....even if you do not see bubbles?

I know at times when we medicate we should have extra oxygen...but would you go without any air stones in your tanks?......only filter movement?

I so need some answers here ~

Thanks Guys!

AmberC
05-26-2007, 09:48 AM
I have gone without air stones in my tanks for .. oh lets see... 6 years... http://forum.bidka.org/images/smilies/smile1.gif

I hate them. The only time I use them is when I am medicating a tank. I think they are a pita and all I use are my aquaclears.

You dont HAVE to have one.. unless you are using hydraclear sponge filters cause thats how they work.

Amber

Kindredspirit
05-26-2007, 09:58 AM
:)

SLY
05-26-2007, 10:00 AM
just make sure the discus are not gasping for air..they should be alright

Tropical Haven
05-26-2007, 10:02 AM
The only air my fish get are the bubbles from my sponges.

poconogal
05-26-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't have air stones on my QT or my 10 gallon that has little Spinner in it. Only running ACs in those tanks. The AC500 (now 110) creates lots of surface movement, that is on my 30 gal. QT, and the 10 gal. has an AC Mini, which also creates surface movement.

I do use them in my 75 gal and my 20 gal tanks. I have canister filters on both and I have the airstones connected to battery back up air pumps which come on when there is no electric current so in case of a power outage when the filters are not running, the tanks will still have surface movement.

Like Amber said though, when I was using Metro in my 30 gal. QT and I had the temp up to 92, I used an airstone then, just to be on the safe side. Although with that big AC and the surface movement it creates, I probably didn't need to but why take the chance?

Don Trinko
05-26-2007, 10:51 AM
The surface movement produced by most filters is enough but... I added a sponge mostly to have some bacteria other than the main filter. (in case I have to replace the filter media) Don T.

korbi_doc
05-26-2007, 11:45 AM
:D I run sponge filters on all my tanks, AC filters on the large discus & angel tanks & airstones on all tanks, as well as in the storage tanks...but that's cuz I have plenty of air with the linear piston pump, lol....hopefully I can hook up the battery & inverter so "in case of" an outage they'll all have lotsa air at least, & I like the bubbles, lol ........JMO, Dottie ;)

AmberC
05-26-2007, 12:37 PM
;)

alpine
05-26-2007, 08:09 PM
For whatever little I know , I have been told babies need areation , so all my babies have areation , even two airstones per tank . The older fish get just the sponge hydros bubles .

roberto.

sam_y
05-27-2007, 12:36 AM
I find my discus do better with an airstone or two to keep the water moving. This is especially useful for my fry tanks as it keeps the food suspended long enough to get their attention and stimulate their hunting instincts. IMO my fish grow better with the airstones than without for this reason. I noticed most of the other posters use power filters which may provide sufficient water movement...I only use sponge filters and I find the extra aeration definitely helps.

dandestroy
05-27-2007, 08:59 AM
You know that technically if you see a bubble going to the surface, it means that that oxygen was not dissolve in the water at all.

So for what is worth air stone only help in water movement, and disturbing the surface which in turn help oxygenating the water.

Kindredspirit
05-27-2007, 09:25 AM
The older fish get just the sponge hydros bubles .

roberto.

This is what I have in my tanks, Roberto....but in my 20gal there is no sponge filter ~ just a air stone...hence the reason for this thread:mad:since it came out of the air pump and drained......

everywhere!

Thanks Everyone for your input ~ it was good to see what everyone else does and thinks about it!

Marie ~:balloon:

mmorris
05-27-2007, 10:30 AM
As I understand it, bubbles act to increase the surface area of the tank so that carbon dioxide can more effectively escape. The issue is not the dissolution of oxygen but the elimination of carbon dioxide. Hopefully wiser chemists than me will comment on this. :) Martha

poconogal
05-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi Martha, as I understand it, the surface agitation created by the bubbles results in an exchange of gases, carbon dioxide out, oxygen in. I'm certainly no chemist, though! :D

Don Trinko
05-27-2007, 12:47 PM
It is my understanding that the bubbles have no significant effect other than moving the water. Don T.

sleonard
05-27-2007, 05:36 PM
There is little or no gas exchange as the bubbles rise through the water but do create currents that in turn cause the water to move at the surface. The water movement and the bursting of the bubbles break the surface tension and allows the gas exchange to take place.

Scott

Ed13
05-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Yup, the bubbles themselves are worthless is what happens as they move(current) and what happens to them, this effect creates the gas exchange. I'll wait for Graham or someone else to give a more scientific explanation. Now it this was a protein skimmer in saltwater the bubbles themselves would be the most important part.

Marie I would not mind having extra airstones, if they are cleanable and tuff like the Asian rainbow ones

swinters66
05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I had to put an airstone in my tank about a year ago, when I noticed all the fish were gasping and not really swimming a lot. Once the air stone was in, a few hours later they were fine...so I kept it in. They don't mind the water movement. If it helps my tank with gas exchange, more oxygen in the water, etc...Ill keep mine in.

Kindredspirit
05-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Hi Martha, as I understand it, the surface agitation created by the bubbles results in an exchange of gases, carbon dioxide out, oxygen in. I'm certainly no chemist, though! :D

This is how I understood it as well ~ so long as something is agitating the surface....it is a good thing:)be it the bubbles or the filters....

Kindredspirit
05-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Marie I would not mind having extra airstones, if they are cleanable and tuff like the Asian rainbow ones

I think I recall when you posted a picture of one of these...was it you, Ed?

Ed13
05-28-2007, 11:25 AM
I think I recall when you posted a picture of one of these...was it you, Ed?
Nope, pic and Ed don't go together Marie lol:)

But they sure are nice aren't they, even the colors are nice

Deepak
05-29-2007, 01:41 AM
What I do is put the airstone inside the sponge filter :) This way I don't get the bubling noise ~ like water boiling away. I really hate that noise :mad:, more than the mild humming of the aerator.

I have both airstone & power filter. But somehow I find the surface disturbance caused by airstone bubbles better for the exchange of gases. Even the fish like to play in the bubbles :):):)